Author Topic: Gloucestershire marriage  (Read 969 times)

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gloucestershire marriage
« on: Saturday 01 September 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
The Gloucestershire, Bristol Marriage Index has the marriage in 1800 in Almondsbury St Mary (BTs) of James Penneger and Sarah Broyc (sic).  In the 1851 census this Sarah bc1780 gives her place of birth as Wickwar, Gloucestershire. There are several Sarah's baptised in Wickwar around 1780, but none with a surname remotely like "Broyc" .  Does anyone have access to the original records with a view to giving me a 2nd opinion of what the surname is?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucestershire marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
The best I can come up with is a baptism on FindMyPast, their marriage transcribed Broyc.

Sarah Broye 1778 Olveston, St Mary, Gloucestershire about 7 miles from Wickwar and 2 miles from Almondsbury.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Yes, that seems to be her, as her first 6 children were baptised in Alveston which borders Olveston.

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Further to the above I have confirmed that the surname is Bwye, presumably pronounced Broye.

Offline xanthippe

• RootsChat Extra
  • expat Brit, born in Scotland, now living in Berlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I also have Sarah Bwye on my tree, born 1778 in Olveston, baptised 5th Apr 1778, daughter of John Bwye (my 4th great grandfather, 1751-1834) and Elizabeth Moreton (1756-1783); married John Griffiths 7 May 1804 in Henbury. I've got stuck in the Bwye line at her grandfather William (b. 1725 in Alveston) and can't get any further back. Any help?
Best wishes,
Xanthe
Bwye, Blenkiron, Clarke, Close, Durrant, Fraser, Hall, Humm, Ivin, Joy, Livermore, Phelps, Ruegg, Schmock, Sever, Sinclair, Thorneycraft, Widows, Woolley

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Xanthe, but I have eliminated Bwye from my wife's tree. The Sarah I have been looking for now appears to be the Sarah Rodway b1775 in Wickwar, this birthplace agreeing with the 1851 census. I still cannot find her marriage to James Pinniger, but my wife does have DNA matches with descendants of this Rodway family.

Brian