Author Topic: Born on sea - why  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Born on sea - why
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
I may have read the original post with a different view?

"Born on sea" immediately made me think it may have been a place name as I've heard of e.g. Clacton 'on Sea' & Southend 'on Sea', I'm sure there will be others?

Born 'at sea' would be something different i.e. do we know which is correct?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 18 05:19 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Annie. That was my first thought as well. I wondered if the word 'Born' should be a place name.  :-\

Possibly an error on the census, or an error in interpreting the place name written on the census?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 September 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
It certainly is an unusual way of phrasing it, people would usually say “ born at sea.”
Was he still alive in 1861, what does that say?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
I think he died in 1854. There are two John King deaths in Ross RD in the June quarter per the GRO index, one age 65 and the other aged 54. Wife Mary Ann is a widow in the 1861 census.

Confusingly there's a death announcement in the Hereford papers (6 and 10 May 1854):  "At Pencoyd, in the 50th year of his age, Mr John King, much lamented by his family and friends".

In the 1841 census he's not born in county and not born in Scotland Ireland or Foreign Parts.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Annie. That was my first thought as well. I wondered if the word 'Born' should be a place name.  :-\

Possibly an error on the census, or an error in interpreting the place name written on the census?

Wonder if it could have been Burnham on Sea - in Somerset and just south of the mouth of River Severn.  The "on Sea" bit was added to the name of Burnham, certainly by 1868 but possibly earlier.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
How about Burnham on Sea 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 census there's many folk 'born on sea' and variations such as -

On the Sea
Born on the Sea
On the Sea British Subject
On the Sea Near, Gibraltar
On Board Ship at Sea
On the High Sea

as well as those listed as 'born at sea' and 'at sea'

M

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Ray has been searching since 2008 for this elusive direct ancestor without any luck :)

I am still thinking “born on the high seas”. as a possibility,  but maybe his mother did not know she was pregnant when she left these shores, or, as has been suggested, her husband was in the army.
In which case she may have returned but the child’s father may have been killed in the war and she married a King after her return.

Since all we can do is speculate I am wondering if his mother was a lady’s maid accompanying her mistress on the “grand tour” and gave birth on the way home.

My thinking is that johns move to pencoyd, and his descendants working as gardeners on large estates suggests that he was influenced by his employer.

Either way he may not have been born a King, would a husband and wife set out on a sea voyage knowing that a child was on the way.

Mike

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
It could be worth contacting the owners of the trees I mentioned earlier as they give a date and place of birth  - 02 Jan 1801 born Limburg Netherlands, but also have him as born on sea.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk