Author Topic: George Hunter, Buffalo hunter in Northern Territory  (Read 2988 times)

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
Re: George Hunter, Buffalo hunter in Northern Territory
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 September 18 03:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I have to confess to a bad mistake in my original post - quoting George's parents from his marriage cert as PETER and Maude Hunter when it should have read STEPHAN and Maude Hunter. My humble apologies   :-[

The Peter Hunter a baker in Masterton mentioned by majm is my 2x gt uncle. He married Alice Mary Sutton in 1881 and they had nine children - but no George. One of their children was the Maud Winifred Hunter b. 1887 Masterton mentioned in reply#9 from majm.

The George Hunter at Masterton 1905-6 I cannot place but from the ER it looks as though he could be married to a Mary Hunter, married, also residing at Colombo Rd. 

Re the online tree mentioned by majm in reply#9.
Many Thanks for that, but it seems to be a good example of the problem with online trees mentioned by Ruskie.

Re George's Mum. The only Maude Hunter death in NZ between 1880 and 1910 was a Maude Lillian Hunter who died aged 6 months!

The birth in Brisbane 1885 is more interesting because I have a 1st cousin 3x removed a William Hunter who I believe died 20 Jan 1922 Melbourne, Victoria. I cannot find any marriage to a Jane Ellis for him though, but if he was the father of George the buffalo hunter it would explain the DNA result.

Other details from that tree seem to agree with what I've been told, so thanks to majm for that confirmation and links.

I'll add a link to this thread on the NZ board - thanks for the suggestion Jamjar.

John B
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
On http://www.coraweb.com.au under Northern Territory listings there is a new Probate Index. It gives a George Hunter probate granted 1948 Administrator David Edgar Hunter.
Not sure if this helps much unless you know that DEH was related.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie ,

Yes David Edgar Hunter b. 1926 is listed as the third of this George Hunter's children so thanks for the link.

However I'm not sure that a Probate would include any details of deceased's parents or birthplace.

Can anyone advise on that?

Thanks
John B

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
I am not sure about the Northern Territory's rules in 1948 ... or now,  BUT ... in NSW, you need proof of  death before they will commence to consider making a grant for Probate.   If the person died in NSW, a certified copy of the NSW BDM death cert is sufficient (for the probate file, usually it remains in the archived file).   NSW BDM death certs include headings showing the informant's knowledge re the deceased's parents names (including if known the nee name for mum) and the deceased's place of birth, and details of any marriage/s, and the children of those marriages....

But I don't have any detailed knowledge of NT certs.  ... they may be as scant as say South Australia's death certs or as detailed as NSW ones...  as in administrative aspects NT has been part of both  those jurisdictions....

I will phone a rellie to see if I can add to that knowledge.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
By the way, do you already know that the person born 1926 is no longer living?  it is a No No to name living persons at RChat.  You can modify your post for the first 24 hours.

Named also in Stephanie's post. 

(so replies #10 and #11  )

:)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

detailed info on NT death certs commenced in 1949  ....  :-X  :-X

JM

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
By the way, do you already know that the person born 1926 is no longer living?  it is a No No to name living persons at RChat.  You can modify your post for the first 24 hours.

Named also in Stephanie's post.  (so replies #10 and #11  )

:)  JM

Thanks for reminder and all else JM.

Northern Territory, Australia, Probate Index, 1911-1994 shows a Probate for him with Death Age:    65 and death date "abt 1991"

John B

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

detailed info on NT death certs commenced in 1949  ....  :-X  :-X

JM

Oh darn !!  I see parents details not shown prior to 1949.

John B

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 04:48 BST (UK) »
So don't bother ordering the NT death cert .... but I wonder if the probate file may have statements from various beneficiaries etc giving family history clues about George ....

I have no experience of NT probate researching, sorry.  I phoned a rellie, and they are as uninformed as me, sorry.  :-[

JM