Author Topic: Michael Donovan Marriage Info  (Read 8117 times)

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Donovan Marriage Info
« Reply #54 on: Monday 01 October 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Unable to use pay sites so will have to wait till I'm able to get to Clare. Records can only be viewed Thursday's .
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Unable to use pay sites so will have to wait till I'm able to get to Clare. Records can only be viewed Thursday's .

For the time being at least John Donovan whether Irishman or Englishman will remain a mystery.                 Some of the reasons; married in 1895 Port Pirie S.A. but deserted the ship Bradford City in 1911, ship built 1903.

Martin,   your John DONOVAN is NOT the person who deserted the ship SS Bradford City.  The John Donovan who deserted the ship did so in June 1911.   On several of your threads you have told us that your John Donovan died in 1910, and that his daughter Vera is your late Grandmother. 

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

At the above link others reading this thread will be able to find the index references for your John's marriage, (to Elizabeth Brooks, 1895); death in 1910 (undefined relative); and of course the birth registration in 1904 of your Grandmother, Vera.

JM

Martin,  the link I gave you is NOT to a pay site.  It takes you to the INDEX, and then click on the Find More option ... :D

Click through should take you through to BDM SA, so  try this link:
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/family-and-community/births,-deaths-and-marriages/family-research

You can order the certificate Online or by Phone or In Person or by Post, but the certificate will cost you a fee.  As far as I know, every BDM office throughout all of the eight jurisdictions that make up Australia charge a fee for providing historic certificates.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 07 October 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
We have ruled out that John Donovan deserted the SS Bradford City. Now I have to expand the search.
Also, the Adelaide library has books which mention deserters as do Sydney, Melbourne and Fremantle libraries but I’m unable to view them (not view-able online). Ancestry also has a lot of info on deserters if anyone can help in that area it would be much appreciated.
Obit says at time of death had been living in Pt Pirie a little over 20 years which puts his arrival here late 1880's. This also means he was in his teens when he first went to sea.
Obit also says age at death was 38 but death cert says 39 (viewed online) his puts birth year 1871.
(waiting on delivery of death cert by snail mail).

Regards
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
Excellent  :)

I hope there are lots of clues in that document.  Fingers crossed that the informant is a family member.   I am also hoping that it gives place of birth or at least a county, rather than just say 'England' or 'Ireland'

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
 :)

And here's a link for incoming passenger lists to South Australia, as the d.c. should show how long he had been in SA.

https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/passenger-lists-view

JM

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 18 November 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Finnally received John Donovan's death cert. It states place of birth as County Cork, Ireland. Does not give name of who registered death only that he was married & hod 3 daughters. Lived in Solomantown, age at death 39, 20 years in Australia & 24 when he married. Also name of udertaker.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 18 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
They can take ages when coming by snail mail.  :)

So he was aged around 19 when he arrived in Australia, and aged 24 when marrying ... five years in any locality across the entire continent prior to courting and marrying at 24 ...

Does the cert give his occupation as at September 1910...  :)

Re no informant named ... not unusual, but may I suggest it was perhaps the Undertaker or the Assistant to the Undertaker,

County Cork, Ireland, for his origins ... so it's the d.c. that gives this and thus contradicts the obituary...  One of those two sources may be right, both may be wrong, but both cannot be right.  Without knowing who provided the information for either it remains difficult to know which is the more reliable. 

JM

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 19 November 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Occupation, whalf labourer. Personally I'd go with death cert for country of birth given that the info hopefully would have been given to undertaker by wife !.  It is also what my grandmother (daughter) had always told us.