Author Topic: Michael Donovan Marriage Info  (Read 8068 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Donovan Marriage Info
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
Even searching the following produces nothing....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 September 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, I think the closest I'm going to get for the moment is Michael Donovan and Margaret Forde. Will need to confirm death for both. Thanks again.
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the second wife was a Miss Ffrench rather than from France.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
May I offer the following newspaper cuttting, showing Jack DONOVAN was 38 years of age when he died in Sept 1910 in South Australia. I note he was described as an Englishman.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/95241468 Port Pirie Recorder, 17 Sept 1910.

The only extra info we now is once deserting ship in Port Pirie Sth Australia about 1894 he married my g grandmother Elizabeth Ann Brooks 12 Feb 1895. He died 12 Sept 1910 aged 38. The oral history about parents being publicans and his father marring twice came from him. As far as we know he was not cathlic.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Martin,  please cite the newspaper, date etc where you read about his mother as Margaret McNamara...

Does any Donovan family researcher have on their tree a John or John Michael Donovan born about 1872 that they now nothing about.

We have one who was put into a monastery as a boy or young man to become a priest, but during his time there ran away and went to sea and ended up in Australia.

We know nothing of his parents or siblings except his mother died and his father possibly remarried a french woman ?.

Father was also a spirit dealer or publican.   
In addition to the above I have found his death notice in a local paper giving his parents names as Michael Donovan and Margaret McNamara if that's of any help to anyone.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 September 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
I notice that Martin has been online  since my recent post but he has not responded.   The 1910 death was registered, but the online index does not give clues for names of his parents.

JM

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 September 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi majm, we only know John's fathers name from news paper artical and marriage registry.

TROVE
DONOVAN—BROOKS.—On the 12th February 1895, at Port Pirie, by the Rev. Leslie Durno, M.'A., John, son of Michael Donovan, to Elizabeth Ann, daughter of John Brooks.

South Australian Marriage Registry
DONOVAN John 23y S (father Michael DONOVAN) m 12 Feb 1895 BROOKS Elizabeth Ann 19y S (father Thomas BROOKS) at Res of Thomas Brooks Port Pirie Dist Cla b1 p500

Other info thats needs looking into;

Name Michael John Donovan
Gender Male
Christening Place CORK NO 3 NORTH CENTRE, CORK, IRE.
Birth Date 21 Jun 1873
Birthplace Cork No 3 North Centre, Cork, Ire.
Father's Name Michael Donovan
Mother's Name Margaret Ford

Margaret Donovan 24 Dec. 1897 Phthiscs Female 45yrs catholic Timoleague Queenstown Married. Buried section A, Row 11, Num. 34, Dec. 26 1987, 1291

Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 September 18 04:59 BST (UK) »
Are you now saying that you have not ever had the info you said you had in the following post:

In addition to the above I have found his death notice in a local paper giving his parents names as Michael Donovan and Margaret McNamara if that's of any help to anyone.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 September 18 05:45 BST (UK) »
Re Margaret McNamara and the newspaper giving her as Jack's mum in 1910.

May I mention that a chap named Michael DONOVAN married in South Australia in 1879 to a Margaret McNamara.  The online index has the following info
119/930   
DONOVAN   Michael   
MCNAMARA Margaret   
(registered Adelaide District).

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32

There's births likely for that couple too :

:) 1880   DONOVAN   Patrick
 :) 1881   DONOVAN   Mary Kate

On reading the images at Trove for the 1895 marriage,  I notice that there's no mention of Michael Donovan's locality ... this suggests to me that he was a local in Port Pirie ... many other notices on same pages list localities...  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/25750258
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/208835741
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/93973068
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/73212897

Perhaps you should consider asking for the thread to be moved to the Australia board, until you have confirmed information about Michael from some official records.

JM