Author Topic: Catholic Priest records  (Read 3708 times)

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Priest records
« on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Would anybody know whether there are any online resources listing details of Catholic priests in Ireland? I have looked at the Find my past church records but they seem to be predominantly Quaker with a smattering of Catholic directories that are too early for my needs. It's one of those situations where I don't know what part of Ireland I need to look (possibly Dublin or Wexford but it could honestly be anywhere) and I'm not sure what generation I am dealing with so it could be anytime between 1830 and 1890ish. Sorry to be so vague but it is a family story regarding my Granny's father or her grandfather's siblings.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Priest records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Do you think he had died by 1890? If not there is the census,
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

You could try searching for a death https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

You could try working back from granny.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
Unfortunately, I'm hampered by the fact that I don't know any first names or ages :-[. The story is that granny's dad or grandfather was the seventh son of a seventh son and that five of the seven sons were priests. So far I have found (with the back up of a researcher) 3 of my great granddad's brothers. One died young, one was married and one died aged 20 but other than finding him in Glasnevin there appears to be no civil registration of his death so I don't know what his occupation was. As you can see, this is looking more and more like a lost cause. Thanks for your suggestions.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
You have a surname so it might be possible to find more details. If you tell us exactly what you already know then we can try searching for the brothers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
Unfortunately, I'm hampered by the fact that I don't know any first names or ages :-[. The story is that granny's dad or grandfather was the seventh son of a seventh son and that five of the seven sons were priests. So far I have found (with the back up of a researcher) 3 of my great granddad's brothers. One died young, one was married and one died aged 20 but other than finding him in Glasnevin there appears to be no civil registration of his death so I don't know what his occupation was. As you can see, this is looking more and more like a lost cause. Thanks for your suggestions.

I think so.  Especially when you won't give any details on Surname, let alone any Names/Dates.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
Please bear with me as I am having a really bad techie day :) I've already typed three quarters of a reply to you and managed to lose the lot.
This is my Sinnott family and I had been hoping that if there was a directory or similar, I would be able to recognise an address.
I've written previously about the Sinnotts:- Wexford / Re: advice please on researching possible wexford family
« by pet50ite on Tuesday 21 August 12 21:27 BST (UK)  »
Dublin / dublin? ship's captain
« by pet50ite on Monday 10 January 11 17:20 GMT (UK)  Dublin / Re: cathedral dublin (pro cathedral?)
« by pet50ite on Saturday 22 January 11 16:25 GMT (UK)  »

To summarise what I have found and what a researcher has sent me:-
1. James Sinnott baptised 1859. parents Edward Sinnott and Catherine Walsh, St. Andrews, Westland Row
2. Edward Sinnott and Catherine Walsh married 1846 in RC church Monkstown in the parish of Kingstown.
3. Edward Sinnott probably baptised 1821 in parish of Ballyoughter, Wexford. Father James, mother Catherine Kerwan
4. Catherine Walsh baptised 1819 in parish of Ballyoughter. Father Michael, Mother Ellen Kavanagh.

James Sinnott b1859 has 3/4 brothers
1.John baptised 1847, St. Andrews Westland Row. Married Maria Condon 1871
2. Edward baptised 1854, St. Andrews, Westland Row. Died 1865 aged 10.
3. Robert baptised 1857, St. Andrews, Westland Row. Died 1877 aged 20.
4. Richard (Richard is in the same grave as Edward and Robert but the researcher didn't mention him) died 1890 aged 32, occupation unemployed telegraph clerk).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Freeman's Journal, 6 Aug.1877: SlNNOTT-Aug. 4, at _ Marshall-terrace, North-strand, Robert Sinnott, aged 20. Interment at 10.30 this Monday morning.

You didn't mention that Richard Sinnott committed suicide- an inquest reported in the newspapers might mention family members-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06107/4743228.pdf

Several papers reposted it, here's an extract of one-
Dublin Daily Express, 3 Apr.1890: ... inquest was held yesterday ... on the body of the man who was killed train Monday night. He was identified as Richard Sinnott, who had formerly been telegraph operator the General Post Office, but who lost his employment about two years ago, and had no other employment since...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that and the fact that I have the newspaper report and the only family member it mentions is his mother, Catherine.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Is the article "Ancestors who were priests" on Catholic Family History Society website any use? It has a list of sources. Many Irish priests went to Britain. https://catholicfhs.wordpress.com/tag/priests/
The Catholic Directory (England & Wales) was published annually. Each edition should contain list of deceased priests. Was there an Irish equivalent?
 A priest belonging to a family of mine was mentioned in newspapers when he was a student at Maynooth because he won prizes (1841), and later in his career. Newspapers in districts where there were seminaries may have published ordination lists?  Try under surname for mentions in Catholic or Irish press throughout their likely lifespans. Obituary would have mentioned if deceased priest had brothers who were priests. Some local newspapers covered official openings of new churches in detail, listing priests present.
Cowban