Author Topic: Finally (remotely) connected to someone (slightly) famous!  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finally (remotely) connected to someone (slightly) famous!
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 08 September 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Cowban

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Phew Igor - four pages of suspense!  I didn't recognise the name, but certainly recognise the face.

I have absolutely no link to anyone famous, but know beyond a doubt that my mother looked the spitting image of Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother and my father (when slim) was the spitting image of Philip Duke of Edinburgh   ;D

I spoke too soon. I've spent the last decade with my sights firmly fixed on trying to clear the mists hiding irish and Scottish paternal lines.  I was clearing up my desktop this weekend and opened a forgotten screenshot of an ancestral line.  My mother's maternal grandmother was Lucy Speight a lass from West Yorkshire, born in the 1850s. A hundred years earlier one of her Yorkshire ancestors had been a farrier in the Light Dragoons and had brought a southern born bride back home with him. The bride was from farming stock and I've got a couple of 18th century wills together with baptism documents going back to the beginning of the 17th century. After a few fathers named Robert, one early father is named as Mr. Radulphi Wells, with a title like that he was obviously considered a gentleman. and probably a land owner - and with a surname like that it was obviously a (quite common) place name. Well, Welles,WELL! - you could have hit me with la plume de ma tante; who would have thought I'd find a couple of genealogists had researched and written books on the family's history right back to the earliest days of Normandy diners on frogs legs! I checked with my kissing cousin on GenesReunited who shared my tree and discovered they'd already found that the Wells' line went back to Chateau Vallibus in Vaux, Normandy.  The earliest economic arrivals were gifted land by the King. When the family expanded, the father shared his estate between his sons and one child was gifted land in Wells - hence the new surname.

I'm leaving my tree as it is and won't be spending any of my pension doing my own research.  It's enough for me to know that due to the Vaux's marriage connections with the House of Orange and other well to do European personages, there is a likelihood that my mother and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon could well have shared a few genes.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 September 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Gosh, Rena - shall we call you ma'am? :)  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 September 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Gosh, Rena - shall we call you ma'am? :)  ;D

You can call me whatever you like - just as long as you either bow or curtsy when you're saying it  ;D

Have a good week.
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 29 September 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
WELL would you believe it..

Just discovered my 14th g.g. albeit illegitimate oh dear me was the son of James Lord Hamilton or something similar.. still checking it all out..

cos this James has a close contact with the Royalty  via a 2nd marriage or something... it is so complicated.. and very difficult not to follow the millions of trees that have latched on to almost being a descendant of a certain ... uhm uhm  I dont know someone who played with spiders if I remember right..  :) :)     ha ha.. so

if you want some fun:

I was tracing my line back from :

definates are:

on pg 2 pic   and the larger one are the maybe possibly with no certs or docs as yet... only source good old TREES / Hints.. I will NOT take anything on larger pic for granted.

xin

funny thing is I never kill spiders :)  ha ha

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 29 September 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Years ago in Coronation Street, Vera Duckworth was told by her putative father that his grandad was the illegitimate son of Edward 7th. She believed the story and for years she referred to Prince Charles as "cousin Charles". Only a TV show I know but "Vee" as Jack called her did have delusions of grandeur after that.

I spoke to one genealogist the other day who said they'd rather descend from the riff raff than nobility.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 29 September 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Yes   that research was just fun and 'playtime'  --   It did make me stop and triple triple check my certs etc.  and because I can find NO certification that my Janet Duncan is the daughter of Jean CRAWFORD  --- then it is NOT my line.. but it just shows how easy it can be to follow a line as there is so much 'information' or mis information out there these days.. 
Me I am ONE cert and One family at a time ... proove as much as I can within that group.. before I move on..
except lately I go from paternal to maternal and back again and wonder what on earth I am doing some days }
xin