Author Topic: Henry Ribbans bapt 1862 Rushmere - m ?? abt 1885  (Read 308 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Ribbans bapt 1862 Rushmere - m ?? abt 1885
« on: Tuesday 04 September 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Is anyone able to help me find details of a marriage of Henry Ribbans (born; 19-2-1862) bapt 4-9-1864 Rushmere St.Andrew (s/o Henry & Eliza).
All I can find is a reference to a possible marriage in 1885 Emily Runnacles in the Plomesgate regis. dist. (not sure if this the right person).

I have him in the 1871 census with his parents & siblings living in Belstead, Suffolk  and again in 1891 in Stratford St.Andrew, Suffolk, married, aged 29 as a Grocer & draper  but no sign of wife or children.

In 1901 he is aged 39 and a widow still a grocer/shopkeeper also with no sign of children.

Nowhere can I find a 1881 census for him.

One big problem, just to add to the confusion,  is that there is another Henry Ribbans born about 1865 (s/o Aaron & Emma) who married Amelia Whiting between 1891 & 1901 and became a tinsmith ending up in Kent.

I've tried Ancy, & FreeBMD and Fam/search without success and would be pleased if anyone can
find some info on this Henry.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ribbans bapt 1862 Rushmere - m ?? abt 1885
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
No luck with confirming a marriage, but the 1881 Census (FamilySearch) has:

RG11 1876/96 p10
East Suffolk Hospital, Anglesea Road, Ipswich
Henry RILBANS patient, 19, footman, born Rushmere Suffolk

The entry is RIBBANS - it's a bad transcript!

I tried a search for Henry (no surname) born Rushmere and got lucky!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br />

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,

Thank you for your help. I couldn't find him on F/Search but did eventually get an entry using Ancy... and the details you listed.

Everything seems to tie in agewise and parish of birth,  but a "footman" to go to a grocer/shopkeeper/draper -  i'm just wondering if there is yet another Henry Ribbans in the area.

I've already got 4 (Harry/Henry) from 1842 - 1865 all to different families and parishes!!

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 03:32 BST (UK) »
I think that the 1885 marriage must be him but that he married the other possible bride i.e. Susan Sarah Baskett.   Investigating her on the 1881 census she is working as a nurse to a family named Jackaman in Ipswich - listed as Susan S Basket!   She was bc.1852 Blaxhall, Suffolk and on the 1891 census she is living with her mother back in Blaxhall, shown as Susan Ribbans  39  married.  Her mother 'living on own means'.   Perhaps if she had some money some was given/lent to Henry enabling him to go from Footman to Grocer.

So looks like Henry married a lady some 10 years older than him but by 1891 they are living apart -perhaps mother ailing.   She was born as plain Susan Baskett but was Susan Sarah when she married Henry.   Couldn't find a death for a Susan Sarah Ribbans between 1891 and 1901 (when he was a widower) but did find one for a Sarah Ribbans b.1852, died Dec.qtr.1900 Plomesgate which must have been her.

I then looked on burials on FindMyPast and found Sarah Ribbans 48 buried 5th October 1900 Stratford St. Andrew which sort of clinches it I think.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Thank you so much for putting me on the right road.

With your valuable help, I have now found a burial for Sarah Ribbans (aged 48) 5-10-1900 Stratford St.Andrew.

I have also found her bapt. as Sarah Susan Basketts 18-7-1852 d/o Henry & Ann, Labourer, in Blaxhall St.Peter.

These dates for Sarah tie up very niceley.

Many thanks

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

I'm having great difficulty of finding the 1891 census on Ancy.. showing Mary Basket, Blaxhall, Suffolk.
Do you have any suggestion?s - I did find a reference on F/Search but was hoping to get a look at the original.
Similarly I can't get any further with Henry Ribbans after 1901 (he was still in Stratford, aged 39 and
a Grocer etc)
Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
I'm having great difficulty of finding the 1891 census on Ancy.. showing Mary Basket, Blaxhall, Suffolk.

Similarly I can't get any further with Henry Ribbans after 1901 (he was still in Stratford, aged 39 anda Grocer etc)

pm sent

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br />

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Ref. for 1891 Blaxhall is RG12 - 1480 - 9 - 11

Henry Ribbans remarried to a Fanny Watson in Sept.qtr.1902 West Ham.

They had a son Henry Watson Ribbans (b.31/7/1903, d.Feb.1994 Ipswich), birth reg'd Sept.1903 Plomesgate.

His occupation changes to Farmer and continues living in Stratford St. Andrew - death entry June quarter 1931 Samford. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:56 BST (UK) »

Many thanks Annett.
I have just got your reply so apologise for late reply.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk