Author Topic: Looking for John Grey/Gray information 136, East 60th Street, New York  (Read 1071 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for John Grey/Gray information 136, East 60th Street, New York
« on: Tuesday 04 September 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am looking for information as to the above - he is mentioned as a cousin of two of my great grand aunts Margaret b1885 and Sarah Jane WOOD b1883 both of whom travelled regularly from (Sunderland) the UK and were nurses to families within New York in the first quarter on the 1900's and beyond. Families including the Straus of Macy's fame, as well as Pullitzer.

Sarah can be seen on census of 1915 at Scarsdale nurse to Henry Schuler family
1930 Census at East 52 Street - nurse to Pullizer family.
1920 Census Manhattan Assembly District 15, New York, New York Family of Henry C Taylor

Margaret can be seen in the 1920 Census Manhattan Assembly District 7 New York New York with the Straus family.
She can also be seen as a Detroit Border crossing
Arrival date:29 May 1910
Arrival Place:Detroit, Michigan, USA

She had arrived in Canada 1st March 1909 and her employer was Col Appel, Fort Russell, Cheyenne Wyoming.

Also travelling to New York from Glasgow to visit a friend arriving 2 September 1912. Ana attachment showing the latter in the hope of deciphering the name and address - I think Emmeline Cooperthwaite.

As per the Ellis Island records Margaret travelled to New York with the intention to stay with a cousin John GREY whose residence was 136, East 60th Street, New York. Sarah also travelled to stay with John on different dates.

I have been trying to locate a census record of John GREY/GRAY in New York for around this time on Ancestry but have met with a negative result - I do not have his date or place of birth though I suspect he was a son of John Gray/Grey and Elizabeth Wood though I cannot confirm that.

A nephew of Margaret and Sarah migrated from Sunderland to New York in 1925 (John WOOD b31 May 1904 d25 January 1927 119, 40th Street, Corona, NY and his body was shipped back to the UK where he is interred.

I would love to discover my ancestors in New York and further afield so if anyone can give me some pointers I would be very grateful.

Best regards and thanks for taking the time to read through the above.

Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John Grey/Gray information 136, East 60th Street, New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
The name looks like Emmeline Cowperthwait to me.  I can't read all of the address, but it looks like 309 N. (something), Mamaroneck, New York.

Interestingly, my husband has Cowperthwaite ancestors from not too far away from there, but I think the Mamaroneck branch is a different one from his. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
This looks like Emmeline - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MV36-YMV 

The 1915 New York state census has this family at 309 North Broadway in Yonkers.  There is a maid named Theresa Grey, maid, age 20, born Ireland, in the US for 1 year, at the same address. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 15:41 BST (UK) »

As per the Ellis Island records Margaret travelled to New York with the intention to stay with a cousin John GREY whose residence was 136, East 60th Street, New York. Sarah also travelled to stay with John on different dates.

Several news clippings for 136 East 60th St. for the time period mentioned. Note nature of services being offered.

Coincidence??

9 Dec. 1918 - Ad

25 sept. 1921 - Ad

Egan- 14 May 1918

=====================

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Two possibilities for Theresa Grey/Gray.

The first was the daughter of John Gray, Yureen? Cahir?, Tipperary, Ireland.  She was a servant going to her sister Mrs. Patrick Mellett, 603 W 179th St., New York.

The second was the daughter of Mrs. Mary Gray, Balleaghmooly?, Newtownforbes?.  She was a servant going to her uncle Thomas Gray, 461 W 57th St., New York.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TX-4QY5-9?i=912&cc=1368704
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TX-4QGD-5?i=117&cc=1368704
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Here is 136 East 60th Street in the 1920 census. Lots of people living there.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJBG-8GN
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRJX-N1M?i=25&cc=1488411

===

Using http://www.fultonhistory.com/fulton.html with search criteria "136 East 60th" and boolean type search, the results produces dozen of similar results, all advertising services available.

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input so far. Mr John Grey or Gray is the puzzle for me. He is shown as cousin to Margaret and Sarah Jane Wood. Going back to 1805 in my tree I have no Irish connection with the Wood branch though over the next few days I need to dig deeper.

There is an anecdotal take that a relative from Sunderland moved to Canada or America and ended up working as a manager in a large department store. Whether this is true I do not know but perhaps ties in with the connection to Mr Straus and family.

Best regards Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
I take it that means you think Theresa Grey is unconnected and irrelevant.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
There's a few bits here for Herbert and Emmaline, including a passport application

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mnp/

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV5B-9SCL

Herbert is the president of the Cooperthwait's Furniture Co., letter enclosed with the passport application
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives