Author Topic: Union Hall, Cork  (Read 687 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Union Hall, Cork
« on: Wednesday 05 September 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
I know I'm clutching at straws here. but I've got to that stage now.      Like many people, I have discovered copious dna matches to people, usually in America, but can make little headway with them.       I was in Cork last week and have returned with more food for thought.

I have two great grandmothers called Kennedy, who were born in Little Island, East Cork, around 1860.       One of them, Margaret Kennedy, married in 1879 as her first husband a man called Patrick Collins, who came from Union Hall, West Cork, quite some distance away.       I wondered how she might have met him.     Bearing in mind how inter related so many people were in these small communities, could she possibly, I thought, have had some cousins down in Union Hall and met him there whilst on a visit?

If anyone has any connection with Union Hall and in particular with the surnames Kennedy, Ahern, or Delaire, I would love to hear from them.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Union Hall, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Anything is possible!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
Well given Patrick Collins occupation,Seaman R N and location of Wilmount Castle
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11077/8053628.pdf

i think it may be self explanatory how they met ?
http://mdmpr.com/blog/wilmount-castle-cobh/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Well given Patrick Collins occupation,Seaman R N and location of Wilmount Castle
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11077/8053628.pdf

i think it may be self explanatory how they met ?
http://mdmpr.com/blog/wilmount-castle-cobh/

It wasn't mentioned he was R N, I was thinking maybe Fisherman that may have used the harbour.

Yes I agree it may be self explanatory how they met now!

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Well, it's a theory, certainly, but just because she worked in Cobh it doesn't necessarily follow that she ran around with sailors!    In fact, in my experience, it's probably likely that she was warned to stay well away from them (not that this matters when you're 21 or so, I agree).

I just wondered whether there were any other theories, or whether there was anyone on Rootschat with a connection to Union Hall and any knowledge of the family names down there. 
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Well, it's a theory, certainly, but just because she worked in Cobh it doesn't necessarily follow that she ran around with sailors!    In fact, in my experience, it's probably likely that she was warned to stay well away from them (not that this matters when you're 21 or so, I agree).

I just wondered whether there were any other theories, or whether there was anyone on Rootschat with a connection to Union Hall and any knowledge of the family names down there.

Not sure what you mean by a theory when she clearly married one!!