Author Topic: Davidson family, Tambo Crossing, Eve Langley  (Read 5159 times)

Offline andrew999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davidson family, Tambo Crossing, Eve Langley
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
Great sleuthing...! So, the photo I posted of the King's Arms Hotel wasn't an early version of the Sir Walter Scott Hotel, but actually Thomas Armour Davidson's Hotel in Neerim South, West Gippsland. It was built in 1902 & he transferred the license in 1918. There's still a hotel operating there & the name changed only recently to the Neerim South Hotel.

I noticed from a map that there is a Crossover Regional Park nearby & Eve referred to the family hotel as the one at Crossover, which I took to be a colloquialism for Tambo Crossing, but now seems likely that this was where Myra brought her girls when Arthur died, not to the original hotel owned by Thomas Davidson Sr. But maybe that's just Eve conflating the two locations to make a better story. The area has more agricultural & cropping use than the grazing land around Tambo too, which fits in with Eve's later stories.

Thomas Davidson Sr's will was written in 1890 & left everything to his 3 sons: Charles, Thomas Armour & James. No mention of his wife, daughters or youngest son William (14 in 1895) at all. Thomas' brother William predeceased him & there's an interesting codicil stipulating James must amalgamate land left to him by William with his brothers' adjacent land in a partnership or be disinherited.

There's no mention of the hotel in the assets, Charles would've been 29 & Thomas' occupation was grazier, so a big ? around the Sir Walter Scott Hotel legacy...

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Do you live in Victoria Andrew ?(you seem to have a much better knowledge of Victorian geography than I do  :) )  If so you may find a visit to the Public Records office useful.

Anyway they do have a lot of info online.   Here are some digitised publicans licences
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mot/

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline andrew999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hey Ros, no, I'm in NZ & haven't actually visited Victoria yet...just read a lot I guess... :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
And here's a link to an earlier thread on the Australia (Completed) Board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=51070.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline andrew999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 04:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, it was google popping up chrissy's thread which led me to Rootschat a couple of months ago & lots of helpful people & information  :)

Offline Katie.0688

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 October 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I currently own the property where the hotel that Myra run in crossover VIC once was. I have attached pictures of the hotel, that i believe Myra and her daughters are in and the card of when the hotel was de licensed. The pictures that have been put in this thread are of neerim souths hotel not the one in crossover.I have done so much research but would love to know more and I'm happy to retell all that I have discovered. Thanks Katie.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 10 October 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

How interesting that you own the property and have done a lot of research on the crossover hotel. I'm sure Andrew and others will be very interested to hear of your research and see the photos.

Andrew hasn't been on the forum for about a year but will receive notification of your post if he still has the same e-mail address.

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 October 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too.  RChat is a great place for family history info. At the mo, you have made just 1 post, but If you reply with just a 'Hi' on this thread you will be along the path to sending and receiving private messages. 

Andrew999 was online earlier today, but he is not online at the moment. 

I wonder if Andrew has sent Katie a Personal message and then logged off.  If so, hopefully he will read this post, as Katie needs to make several posts before all the facilities available to Rootschatters are fully functioning.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=292824
Hi Katie,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

How interesting that you own the property and have done a lot of research on the crossover hotel. I'm sure Andrew and others will be very interested to hear of your research and see the photos.

Andrew hasn't been on the forum for about a year but will receive notification of your post if he still has the same e-mail address.

Ros

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Katie.0688

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 October 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm and Ros  :)
Thank you for the welcome.