Author Topic: Jerome Beechinor arrival prior to 1850 NYC  (Read 580 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Jerome Beechinor arrival prior to 1850 NYC
« on: Thursday 06 September 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find the entry of a Jerome Beechinor into the USA. He's on the 1850 census aged 17 so born 1833 and he's present with the family in the census of 1855 and 1860 as well as in 1870 but at another address and now with his wife. He dies in 1873 and his obit says he is the eldest son of John and Ann Beechinor.

I have John and Ann's entry with 7 of their 8 children on board the Sardinia 17 July 1848. But there's no Jerome.

I can't find an entry record for him prior to 1850. It's possible he arrived with a cousin William Beechinor (b1827) who is listed with the family in 1850 but also doesn't appear on the 1848 manifest.

The Beechinors originated from County Cork, Ireland.

I have all the family info and just need an entry.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jerome Beechinor arrival prior to 1850 NYC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
Ancestry.com has a database:
All New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957.

A search for Jerome Beechinor showed 3 entries for that name, plus two for Jerome J. Beechinor. 

I do not have a subscription so can't see what dates are given for these records.  Perhaps someone else who reads this post will check for you. 
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:12 BST (UK) »

A search for Jerome Beechinor showed 3 entries for that name, plus two for Jerome J. Beechinor. 

The above entries range in date from 1904 to 1937 so not the right man , unfortunately.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Is this him?

Jerome Beechinor
Naturalized October 26, 1853
Common Pleas Court, New York County
Bundle No.: 121
Copy of record number: 159
address: 182 Madison St, NY City
former nationality: English
occupation, birth date, port of arrival, date of arrival: all blank
witnesses: John Beechinor, 182 Madison St, NYC

nothing on the back

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVT7-7NJ7

Citation: "New York Naturalization Index (Soundex), 1792-1906," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVT7-7NJ7 : 15 March 2018), Jerome Beechinor, 1853; citing , New York, New York, United States, Index to Naturalization Petitions filed in Federal, state and local court in New York, 1792-1906, NARA microfilm publication M1674 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 11; FHL microfilm 1,419,837.

---

Information on times between arriving, filing a declaration of intention, and then petitioning for naturalization:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_Naturalization_and_Citizenship

It looks like in the 1850's he would have to have been in the US for two years at least between his declaration of intention and petitioning, plus whatever time was required before the declaration of intention.

Maybe, -hope hope- the original copies of his information have his arrival date and port of arrival on it, and the indexer just didn't bother to copy it to the card. I'd Google "Common Pleas Court, New York County" to learn how to obtain them.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
No match for his cousin William in a quick search at familysearch.org.