Author Topic: Decipher possible enumerator error  (Read 5021 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher possible enumerator error
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
Catherine remarried after Bernard Irons death and is listed as Catherine Johnson, widow, living in Weaverham Cheshire with Kenerley family in 1861 (RG9/2601)

Does anyone know if there are Ireland parish records for Ballinasloe for late 1700s anywhere?

Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB Apols if I have wasted your time but I only asked for suggestions on place name. I didn't expect anyone to do any searches for me.

You haven't wasted our time, but in questions like this the immediate reaction of many of us is to want to look at the original from which the transcription was taken. So we spent time looking for Dooley and/or Irons instead of Johnson  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Like Jen I spent a lot of time looking for Dooley and variant thereof, and then Irons, plus looking for Catherine and Katherine.

It isn't necessarily a case of an 'enumerators error', as in your title, but a case of the person transcribing and indexing the information making a best guess at reading the enumerators writing. For us to make suggestions as to what the correct name of the place might be, we need to see the original of that writing, to see if we can make something of it that IS a place in Ireland, as you yourself have said the attempt by the transcriber resulted in something that wasn't a place in Ireland.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Just one other point, then I'll go away  :-X

re 'Enumerator error' - no, not necessarily!

The enumerator simply copied/tried to copy what was written on the original householders census form.

The form was intended to be filled in by the head of the household, in this case a Martha Kennley.

Probably Martha asked Catherine where she was born, Catherine told her, and Martha did the best she could to write down what she thought Catherine had said.

Then the enumerator, after he'd collected the form, had to copy down what Martha Kennley thought Catherine had said. If Martha's writing wasn't too clear then more errors could creep in.

If you think about it in that way you can see how easy it could be for a slightly unusual place-name to become completely garbled.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB Apols if I have wasted your time but I only asked for suggestions on place name. I didn't expect anyone to do any searches for me.

You haven't wasted our time, but in questions like this the immediate reaction of many of us is to want to look at the original from which the transcription was taken. So we spent time looking for Dooley and/or Irons instead of Johnson  ;D

As JenB says, it's best to give us as much info as you have as we do like to check the handwritten entry.

I found the Irons/Johnson marriage soon after Jen gave the ref to the other thread. It was the only one Kent 1830 that fitted. I was then called away.

I've checked for a baptism in Ireland but haven't found anything so far.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 September 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
Wonder if it's the English enumerators version of 'Ballinanagh, which is in Cavan (now seems to be known as Ballinagh).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk