Author Topic: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland  (Read 5489 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
I've just realised that you have indicated a year of death for John Keane Lockhart (where does the Keane appear, please) in your first post - 1888.

Three deaths on ScotlandsPeople where the ages are 67, 49, 64 and 0 - so not any of them.  But there is one in England in Morpeth RD, but he is aged 53 (allegedly).  Still no Keane or initial K in the name and 53 or so is the wrong age for your man.  The given birth year is cir 1843 so this one doesn't look likely either.  Did he die overseas?  Did the family emigrate?

The births/baptisms of John A, Isabella, James, Ellen/Helen and Ann all appear in the Army register of baptisms and births.  The father's regiment is shown as the 26th Regiment.  Fernancy Jane and Mary Frances do not appear at all in this index. 

The 26th Regiment ceased to exist in 1881/2 when it amalgamated with the 90th Regiment (Perthshire Volunteers) to form the Cameronian Scottish Rifles (modern name).

A John Lockhart enlisted in the 26th Regiment in 1860 at the age of 20, so he would have been born cir 1840 and his birthplace was Irvine, Ayr. He left the army in March 1882 following his second period of engagement and his wife was Ellen Moffat.  The place of discharge was Hamilton, so it is possible that they continue to live there and that Mary was born later that year.

Nell

Edit- just realised that the 49 year old who died in 1888 could be that John, given the revised date of birth.

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
If Mary Frances = Mary "Frame", then her parents are John and Margaret not John and Helen, so the army family are the wrong family .... aren't they?  :-\

:)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic, but in case it is of relevance, I have found a Hallcroft and a Halltown, but could not locate a Hallhouse.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.6818&lon=-3.8217&layers=168&right=BingHyb

I did wonder if Hallcroft = Hallhouse.  :-\

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
If Mary Frances = Mary "Frame", then her parents are John and Margaret not John and Helen, so the army family are the wrong family .... aren't they?  :-\

:)

That does look to be the case, but the Frances as a middle name could have appeared later.  I think we might have to wait for jule to try to give us a bit of a steer as to how the connections were made in the first place.   :-\

Nell

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Coincidentally, further down in the baptism register there is birth registered with the surname "FRAM". It was quite common for surnames to be used as middle names, particularly in Scotland. Maybe Fram/e morphed into Frances or perhaps it was a conscious decision if Mary disliked her middle name.

I would like to ask the OP how many instances of Frances as a middle name that she has.

What is her full name on any documents relating to her immigration to the USA?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
As John Lockhart and Margaret Peat married in 1880 you would expect to see them prior to the birth of Mary "Frame", in the 1881 Scottish census, but I can't easily spot them. As it is only transcriptions on Ancestry, and some of them leave a bit to be desired, that may explain why.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
I think this is them:

Midtown, Lanark
648 ED 12  p 7

John LOCKHART   32  b Lanark Head Farmers Son
Maggie LOCKHART 23 b Lanark, wife

Nell

Added: his father might have been Robert, a farmer who appears a few lines before them in the schedules.

In 1891, a Helen Peat is visiting John & Margaret Lockhart.  In 1881 she is visiting a John Watson and his wife.  John Watson's brother in law is named Andrew Frame !!!!!  (if I've got the right one of course)  And Margaret Peat's mother might well have been Mary Frame (married to James Peat).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 September 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Well found Nell. Very interesting indeed about the "Frame" connection.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 September 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
John Lockhart marries Margaret FRAME PEAT in 1880!!!! ;D

That makes me even more keen for the OP to tell us how many examples she has of Mary's middle name being Frances.