Author Topic: Methodist minister  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
Re: Methodist minister
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
Yes , she is the girls Mother.

hope it helps you on your search.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 September 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
I've not been able to find any trace of Francis James Hughes after 1911. 

There are various ones listed dying around the country but I've not had time to backtrack to check if he's one of those.

I don't yet know if the Methodist minister info was a complete red herring or if that will help trace him in his adult life.

Eilleen, your post led me to britishnewsarchive.co.uk.  Is that what you use or would you recommend something else?

Thanks

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 September 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Methodist minister (Congregationalist) who was full time paid for several years. He then worked for the YMCA but was actively involved in the local circuit, continuing to give sermons. His father worked for a local firm but also gave regular sermons in the district. I believe this type of non qualified voluntary ministering was not unusual among the Congregationalists.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Methodist ministers have several chapels to look after so it is their full time job but there are voluntary lay preachers who go on an area circuit of chapels to preach. The lay preachers have other full time jobs and can't officiate at weddings etc.

Congregationalists are not Methodists, totally different sections of the Protestant faith.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 September 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks both, it's handy to know as it will help to find other leads as I come to dead ends.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
LDaw,

yes got the information from British Newspapers,

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
I've signed up for the British Newspaper Archive.  I've still not found anything else for Francis James Hughes (beginning to wonder if he emigrated or changed his name).  Anyway, I have found an obituary for what appears to be for another son (therefore my Grandad's half brother).

Francis's parents had 7 children but only Francis and two sisters survived.  Both sisters married, one of them to a Bernard Allen.

The obituary related to a nephew, Walter Hughes, who was killed in action in September 1944.  I've found a Sgt Walter James Hughes who died 18/09/1944 and is buried in Italy.

I've not narrowed down a birth for Walter yet, proving a little difficult as I can't find his Dad after 1911.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 January 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was a (poorly!) paid Primitive Methodist minister. He was moved to a new circuit (collection of churches/chapels) every 2 years. I had other family members (a different line) who were had Methodist minister (or preacher) local as occupation on the census, as well as being farmers. The circuit I know most about was in a rural area and I think that when the minister was away or preaching at another chapel, the local preachers would lead the service.

List are still available of which (paid) minister/s were assigned to which circuit. The link that candleflame gave you is good. There is also https://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/  but I haven't found any Francis or James Hughes.

Francis James Hughes was young, would there be any chance of finding any apprenticeship papers?

If you mange to find a possible birth registration, you could order the birth certificate and use the date of birth to look for him on the 1939 Register?

Goodluck.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 January 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I've not been able to find any trace of Francis James Hughes after 1911. 

There are various ones listed dying around the country but I've not had time to backtrack to check if he's one of those.

I don't yet know if the Methodist minister info was a complete red herring or if that will help trace him in his adult life.

Eilleen, your post led me to britishnewsarchive.co.uk.  Is that what you use or would you recommend something else?

Thanks

Where was he in 1911 please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk