Author Topic: hi looking for any info on my father  (Read 3496 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hi looking for any info on my father
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
To save others doing nugatory work, gray18 has sent me the forms direct and I have agreed to turn them into a potted history as far as possible.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Seems the person in question was a DEMS (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship) Gunner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensively_equipped_merchant_ship
DEMS are always difficult to research, more so those from the RA Maritime Regiment.
If Max comes back with nothing from the "Martime record" I will ask poster HMac, who is knowledgable regarding researching DEMS Gunners, to give us an opinion.
Also do a search of the rootschat forum entitled DEMS for similar threads.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks SW, I have just seen the thread. I will wait until Max has transcribed the cards as they are too small to read. Be aware thought that the Maritime Card may not have survived and is one of the reasons why Maritime R.A. - D.E.M.S. gunners are so difficult to research. The same is true for the RN, D.E.M.S. in the way RN records are compiled.
Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Seaweed and Hugh

Many many thanks indeed, I have just started on the man's service prior to joining 1st Maritime AA Regiment RA in November 1941 (re-designated 1 Maritime Regiment in 1943), serving with them until April 1945.  His early service was with Light AA so one can I think presume that was his on-board trade.  In April 1945 he retrained as a signaller and went of to Egypt and Greece,

As Hugh suspects, against the Maritime period his record is annotated "See maritime record" which is conspicuous by its total absence!

His medal record, incl Arctic and Atlantic Star, suggests a very varied service with DEMS but apart from that, there is nothing about that part of his service.

I had done some preliminary work on that period with the help of other threads here and in other places and have a mere smattering of knowledge of that area but I should be delighted if either of you would like to fill in the Nov 41 to Apr 45 blanks as far as might be possible.

MaxD

PS - A super example of what Rootschat is all about!

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 September 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
We are going to struggle then without the Maritime Card. Some of those that I have researched or been involved with do have this card with their records but I have to say the majority don't (at least in my experience). Without that card we are down to researching via the Merchant Navy route as all military D.E.M.S. gunners signed the ship's Articles of Agreement as part of the crew. So what we need as a starter for ten is the name of a ship he was on preferably one at the end of his service so we can use Crew Agreements to backtrack through his sea service. It may be worth getting back in touch and asking for information about the Maritime Card. I have asked enquirers in the past to do this and feed back to me about it but regrettably none have done so.

He appears to have served in the 1st Martitime Regiment R.A. which would be based at Lochwinnoch on the Clyde so I imagine he would be aboard ships outbound/inbound from there.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 September 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Roger that, I'll ensure that it is passed on.

I am content with the history of the regiment.  One minor clue is that in his posting and promotions it notes he was in 1st Maritime Battery which I am aware was one of the 3 (?) sub units of 1st Regiment.  Somewhere I saw a breakdown of where the batteries operated from, RHQ was indeed in Lochwinnoch.

Many thanks again

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Sitrep - the original enquirer will contact Glasgow re the Maritime Card.  He reports that a vessel called Nova Scotia rings a faint bell.

I saw reference to the vessel Alderdale associated with 1st MRA in one search.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Attached is William Mulvey's service from call up in Nov 41 to the time he left 1st MRA in Apr 45.  More in due course.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 September 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Sitrep - the original enquirer will contact Glasgow re the Maritime Card.  He reports that a vessel called Nova Scotia rings a faint bell.

I saw reference to the vessel Alderdale associated with 1st MRA in one search.

MaxD

There was a Merchant Ship with the name NOVA SCOTIA official number 147363.

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?regtype=MNL&year=1940&name=NOVA%20SCOTIA&steamsail=Steam&page=279

She was sunk 28/Nov/1942 by the German Submarine U-177.
Her Crew Agreements 1939-1942 are at Kew.

I cannot find a Merchant Ship with the name ALDERDALE there was a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel named ALDERSDALE
Lost with all hands 5/July/1942. Part of Convoy PQ17
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022