Author Topic: William Stanley, father of Thurston  (Read 2524 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Stanley, father of Thurston
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia says

A sugar-baker was the owner of a sugar house, a factory for the refining of raw sugar from the Barbados. Sugar refining would normally be combined with sugar trading, which was a lucrative business. The architectural historian Kerry Downes gives an example of one sugar baker's house in Liverpool being estimated to bring in £40,000 a year in trade from the Barbados.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia says

A sugar-baker was the owner of a sugar house, a factory for the refining of raw sugar from the Barbados. Sugar refining would normally be combined with sugar trading, which was a lucrative business. The architectural historian Kerry Downes gives an example of one sugar baker's house in Liverpool being estimated to bring in £40,000 a year in trade from the Barbados.

Thank you.  :)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
It's easiest to quote from my book ...
<i>"Quite simply 'sugarbakers' were those who worked in Britain’s sugarhouses or sugar refineries. As the 17th century European sugar industry was dominated by Amsterdam and Hamburg, the name was derived from the Dutch 'suikerbakker' and the German 'Zuckerbäcker', and it was variously written as sugar baker, sugar-baker, or sugarbaker. The English language had no equivalent word or phrase for ‘worker in a sugarhouse’, so the word was not translated from the German but was a German word, brought here by Germans, spoken by Germans, and entered into our language, albeit for a short time, because those who heard it understood it and accepted it without question. Particularly in the early years, sugarbaker referred to worker and owner alike. 'Sugarbaker' is the normal form you’ll find in documents written in Britain by those associated with the churches, schools, charities and other organisations within the German communities."</i> (Sugarbakers - from Sweat to Sweetness, by Bryan Mawer, pub AGFHS 2011)

In 1691 the job was an unpleasant one. The sugar, at all stages, was boiled in large, open, copper pans over open fires. The process of refining involved boiling with water and eggs (later bulls' blood) as the albumen collected many of the impurities, filtering, repeated boilings to reduce the water content ready for crystalisation, and pouring the very hot liquid sugar into moulds where they would cool and form conical sugar loaves.
The men would work very long hours, almost naked, in temperatures over 100 degrees, with the dangers of fire, scolding, falling through pulley holes, falling into pans, etc, and with only weak beer to drink as the water was so poor.
For a description of the work in 1876, when there had been some improvements (!!), take a look at a page on my website ...  www.mawer.clara.net/greenwood.html .

So the knowledge and experience of sugar refining would have helped in the distillery. As far as I know there was no refining in Deptford until 1770, so the City of London would have been the most likely location.

Sorry to ramble, but hope of use.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
<i>"Quite simply 'sugarbakers' were those who worked in Britain’s sugarhouses or sugar refineries. As the 17th century European sugar industry was dominated by Amsterdam and Hamburg, the name was derived from the Dutch 'suikerbakker' and the German 'Zuckerbäcker', and it was variously written as sugar baker, sugar-baker, or sugarbaker. The English language had no equivalent word or phrase for ‘worker in a sugarhouse’, so the word was not translated from the German but was a German word, brought here by Germans, spoken by Germans, and entered into our language, albeit for a short time, because those who heard it understood it and accepted it without question. Particularly in the early years, sugarbaker referred to worker and owner alike. 'Sugarbaker' is the normal form you’ll find in documents written in Britain by those associated with the churches, schools, charities and other organisations within the German communities."</i> (Sugarbakers - from Sweat to Sweetness, by Bryan Mawer, pub AGFHS 2011)

In 1691 the job was an unpleasant one. The sugar, at all stages, was boiled in large, open, copper pans over open fires. The process of refining involved boiling with water and eggs (later bulls' blood) as the albumen collected many of the impurities, filtering, repeated boilings to reduce the water content ready for crystalisation, and pouring the very hot liquid sugar into moulds where they would cool and form conical sugar loaves.
The men would work very long hours, almost naked, in temperatures over 100 degrees, with the dangers of fire, scolding, falling through pulley holes, falling into pans, etc, and with only weak beer to drink as the water was so poor.
For a description of the work in 1876, when there had been some improvements (!!), take a look at a page on my website ...  www.mawer.clara.net/greenwood.html .

So the knowledge and experience of sugar refining would have helped in the distillery. As far as I know there was no refining in Deptford until 1770, so the City of London would have been the most likely location.

Yes it has helped. Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be worrying too much about other people's trees. Now that you have Ancestry, try looking at baptisms at Deptford to Wm Stanley (not William). There seem to be plenty of possibles to consider.

I did find this baptism of Mary at St Nicholas Church Deptford 1706/07:
"7th of January. Mary daughter of Wm. Stanley, Distiller at the Upper Wales (?) gate."

:)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:50 BST (UK) »

I just found this Quaker marriage certificate on Find My Past.
It states that William was a Sugar Baker, of Thames Street London, and the son of a Thomas Stanley who was a Husbandman of Cheshire. His wife was Mary Simons, and they were married 1689 in London. These were parents of the Thurston baptised in 1691, who died in 1692. Mary was a daughter of Robert Simons, who was a Hoop Maker:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FRG6%2F1437%2F0%2F0767&parentid=TNA%2FRG6%2FMAR%2F54545%2F1

:)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That's useful to have located him in London. He'll be on the database in a few days.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That's useful to have located him in London. He'll be on the database in a few days.

Cheers.  :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 September 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
I did find this baptism of Mary at St Nicholas Church Deptford 1706/07:
"7th of January. Mary daughter of Wm. Stanley, Distiller at the Upper Wales (?) gate."

It's Upper Water gate, which was essentially a continuation of King Street.