Author Topic: Irish beginner - and Goldenbridge Industrial School  (Read 5382 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Irish beginner - and Goldenbridge Industrial School
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to all you night owls - or should I say stars?

As usual in a long post, I missed stuff out. I did mean to add that the promising census record I found was the one in Bahana. (I also meant to ask about the best way to order BMD certs - over here GRO is now much cheaper than individual reg offices - and how to find baptisms if you don't know a parish).

My cousins are willing to spend but not to lash out on likely duds and this line looks promising  but they are convinced they'll find certs in their Dad's papers - still waiting on that, I'd expect his marriage but not sure about his parents'.

This finding of Kate at the deaf and dumb school is very promising. I know Graiguenamanagh is in Kilkenny - oddly enough I passed through in 1987 not knowing the connection - but it's right on the Barrow and my memory is that some of it is over the border in Carlow. (Bahana near the border too). So when Kate joined the school they could have taken the county of the post town - this happens often in England and Wales. 

I was amazed that you found birth records with actual birth dates for both girls. I only had the quarters. These are so nearly exact to the 1939 register and "Kathleen"'s death record that I feel they must be right. I couldn't find a death record for Elizabeth Davies even knowing her supposed exact DoB and place of death - I'll try again. 

I'll try to persuade my cousins to send for any marriage cert not yet found and in any case post updates as soon as anything is known.

Thanks again, Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Certs are now free and online as you can see from the two birth Certs.
The upload isn't compleat yet but should be by the end of this year.
You can see the dates here
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-years-are-covered-by-the-historic-records-of-births-marriages-and-deaths

You know already, you need that marriage cert otherwise it's all just possibilitys.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:17 BST (UK) »

This finding of Kate at the deaf and dumb school is very promising. I know Graiguenamanagh is in Kilkenny - oddly enough I passed through in 1987 not knowing the connection - but it's right on the Barrow and my memory is that some of it is over the border in Carlow. (Balmaha near the border too). So when Kate joined the school they could have taken the county of the post town - this happens often in England and Wales. 

Thanks again, Chris

Doesn't the Census record say she was from Co. Carlow??  From memory... I think it did!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:23 BST (UK) »

This finding of Kate at the deaf and dumb school is very promising. I know Graiguenamanagh is in Kilkenny - oddly enough I passed through in 1987 not knowing the connection - but it's right on the Barrow and my memory is that some of it is over the border in Carlow. (Balmaha near the border too). So when Kate joined the school they could have taken the county of the post town - this happens often in England and Wales. 

Thanks again, Chris

Doesn't the Census record say she was from Co. Carlow??  From memory... I think it did!!
No, Kilkenny.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
This one is from Carlow

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Goldenbridge_Industrial_School/57665/

Nolan   Katie   15   Female   -   Roman Catholic   Carlow

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
This one is from Carlow

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Goldenbridge_Industrial_School/57665/

Nolan   Katie   15   Female   -   Roman Catholic   Carlow
That's not the deaf and dumb school

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
I should add that my Canadian cousin was very young when she visited Ireland and doesn't remember any siblings bar "Sister Anthony" and Katie (who she knew well as she came to live in England). But in the late 40s or early 50s the farm she visited cannot have been run by Patrick and Eliza (or anyone else of that generation if that is wrong) so it may well have been managed by one or more of Cissie's elder siblings. (Sister Anthony lived at a convent in or near Waterford, to add a fourth county to the mix.)

Yes the Goldenbridge Industrial school now seems unlikely for Katie, fortunately for her if not for those who lived there.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 September 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris_49
Reading your post …………. you are on the right track keep digging.
use this site
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie
you will get the births, deaths and marriages etc.
Maggsie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Already replies on the OTHER thread!!

Threads merged.