Author Topic: Irish beginner - and Goldenbridge Industrial School  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish beginner - and Goldenbridge Industrial School
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Great the more the merrier!
Maggsie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Possibly a Rootschat problem with new threads being duplicated? I noticed quite a few repeated topics earlier today.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Saves you wasting your time looking for stuff that has already been found.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 September 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
I amended my first post whilst the first one was being moderated, but the amendment wasn't moderated until the morning, so two threads. Need to be merged now I think. Chris

Threads merged.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 September 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, moderator
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 November 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
My cousin has received his grandparent's marriage certificate. As expected, it's at a Catholic church (St Mary of the Angels, Bayswater) on 14th February 1928 - how fitting! Robert Francis Davies (Bricklayer) father William Davies (Sanitary Inspector) married Elizabeth Nolan, no occupation, father Patrick Nolan (farmer, deceased).

Apart from William having got a promotion from refuse collector, this is all as expected and so helpfully worked out by all you good people who posted above - so thanks very much for that.

The only caveat is that Cissie gives her age as 31 (same as her husband) when she must in fact have been 34! Perhaps this is just a little white lie - perhaps even Frank didn't know!

Anyway this and the near exact match between her birth date as given on the 1939 pre-war register and the record you found means that my cousin can now send for Cissie's birth certificate. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Chris

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 June 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Reviving this old thread because my cousin has now sent his parents' GRO marriage certificate to the Irish government to try to obtain citizenship,  but the people there are saying they need to see the "original". Of course the original is long lost, but will they accept the version provided by the registration district, to wit Paddingtion (now part of Westminster)?

It doesn't help that the link from FreeBMD to the Westminster page produces a 404 error.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 June 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Got into Westminster site, but "We do not hold any original Roman Catholic registers. However we do hold transcripts of various registers", so no use either. So who has the originals?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 01:14 BST (UK) »
Reviving this old thread because my cousin has now sent his parents' GRO marriage certificate to the Irish government to try to obtain citizenship,  but the people there are saying they need to see the "original". Of course the original is long lost, but will they accept the version provided by the registration district, to wit Paddingtion (now part of Westminster)?

It doesn't help that the link from FreeBMD to the Westminster page produces a 404 error.

I am confused. A fully certified GRO copy is legal evidence. This has always been accepted.
Your cousin needs to query this.  Obviously the "original" can never be supplied, as it is in a register book, that will never leave the registry office.

Which GRO are you talking about?

I suspect that something is missing in this story. Perhaps your cousin mailed off a photocopy of the GRO registration, rather than a certified copy? The Irish Passport/Citizenship Office requires certified copies, and probably calls the certified copy an "original".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area