Author Topic: 1939 Census. A Question  (Read 2679 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Census. A Question
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
One of my aunts who would be 102 if still alive doesn't show up on the register. The trouble is I don't know where she is likely to be in 1939, so can't ask for her record to be opened.
I can only assume her dob has been wrongly transcribed and she appears younger than she really was

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
LizzieL I was lucky I knew the approximate area my Great Grandparents may have lived, but they had transcribed their DOB's the wrong way around so they didn't show up at first.There must have been thousands of these mistakes given the size of the Register.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 September 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
I understand that it was transcribed in downward columns so that no one got to see the full entry of any one person.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
I understand that it was transcribed in downward columns so that no one got to see the full entry of any one person.

Yes, each column on a page was transcribed by a different person and each transcriber only saw the column they were transcribing. Problems arise if there were unoccupied houses or other blank lines, some transcribers included the blanks, others omitted them so the columns can get out of sequence.

The Register was used and updated by the NHS up until 1991 as the basis for their records so the records for anyone who was born less than 100 years ago but died before 1991 should be open. Records are opened annually as the 100th anniversary of date of birth is reached.
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex