Author Topic: Unusual number of Children's Death - Stanhoe, Norfolk 1800-1801  (Read 1921 times)

Offline K Bowden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unusual number of Children's Death - Stanhoe, Norfolk 1800-1801
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

On tracing my family tree I came across an entry for a sibling of an ancestor of mine.
Her name was Ann Walker and she died aged 8 in 1801, not so unusual at that time, but also listed in the same 12 month period were 10 burials, 7 of them children ranging from 0 to 12 years old, in Stanhoe, Norfolk. This isn't a very large place today and I don't think it was back then. 

This struck me as strange, so many children, so I wondered if there could have been any illnesses etc. at that time and where I could investigate it further?

Karen

Offline K Bowden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Unusual number of Infant deaths 1800 - 1801 Stanhoe, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

On tracing my family tree I came across a sibling of an ancestor Ann Walker 1793-1801, Stanhoe, Norfolk.  She died aged 8, not, unfortunately, unusual for that time, but also listed in the Bishop Transcripts were 10 other burials in the a 12 month period and 7 of them were children, ranging from 0 to 12. 

This struck me as an usually high proportion, and left me wondering if there was an illness, or epidemic in Norfolk at this time  - any thoughts, or suggestions were I could possible find out?

Cheers Karen

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual number of Infant deaths 1800 - 1801 Stanhoe, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking in one of the newspaper archives? This may give details of an epidemic or  extreme weather conditions. It might also be worth checking others years for Stanhoe to see how 1801 compared with these.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual number of Children's Death - Stanhoe, Norfolk 1800-1801
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
http://www.hyattfamily.co.uk/docs/General%20genealogy%20help/british%20epidemic%20timeline.txt
is interesting, but I cannot vouch for it's accuracy.

silaswall
makes a very good point about comparing other years - and I would add comparing neighbouring parishes to see if the results are similar.  If the high proportion of child deaths in 1801 in Stanhoe compared to other years is repeated in other parishes then an epidemic (or other events such as a poor harvest leading to starvation) could be a cause.

There have been several studies of health and mortality in Norwich - but city life was very different from rural life.  I am not aware of any studies of the rural population in Norfolk in the years around 1800.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting the link. It looks interesting.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline K Bowden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
thanks for that, Karen :)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Flu, smallpox, measles were all serious life threatening illnesses at that time and in small places if one person contracted any of them it would spread very quickly, young and old particularly vunerable

This is a ebook on 'A history of epidemics in Britain' https://archive.org/stream/historyofepidemi02crei#page/580/search/norfolk

I have research in this area of Norfolk and have found similar to yourself more children than was normal ( for that time) dying
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend