Author Topic: Finding my Biological grandfather  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my Biological grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 December 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a record for Guardsman J W Outterside, 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards on the British Army Casualty List 1939-45.  It lists him as wounded in Italy 13 April 1944. No other info on the listing.

It might be worth following up.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that was quick, thank you. What site is that on?
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Found it thank you, on FindMyPast. It's amazing isn't it, I thought I had searched everywhere for that name, and yet I still missed it!  :-[

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth putting a request on the Armed Forces board - WW2.

WW2 records are still sparce.  Also, have you looked in Scotland. He might have spent his days up there - it's not far from here  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, no deaths showing on SP or on the 1911 in Scotland.

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 December 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Found a James William Outterside of the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards unfortunately, so doesn't look like he's my John William. Yes, I've tried Scotland, and Ireland, like you I've had no luck.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 December 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Found a James William Outterside of the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards unfortunately, so doesn't look like he's my John William. Yes, I've tried Scotland, and Ireland, like you I've had no luck.

Does it give his age/DofB?

I ask that because my great uncle was called John but, on one of his WW1 docs, he was named James. I have the relevant ref nos and they are the same.

Gadget

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 December 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
It's on the IWM site, he's giving a verbal account of his time in WW2. I think he was born in Hexham 1904 and this recording was from 1990. He was in the Home Guard before joining the army proper.

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 February 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, just a further update on my search. I have managed to trace about five matches from Ancestry to narrow the search down to two sisters, one of whom should prove to be the mother of my unknown Grandfather. One as previously mentioned, Emily Wyatt, born in London in 1884, but moved with her family to Sunderland and married a John William Outterside, and had a son, another John William Outterside in 1906, after this they disappeared off the face of the earth. The other, her sister Jane Ann Wyatt, born in Sunderland in 1889, who has also disappeared, the last recorded sighting was the 1901 census. I've ruled out the other siblings due to location of the families at the beginning of the WW2. I've now also spoken to the close match, my mother's second cousin, plus the descendants of one of the other siblings, who would also be second cousins, and got some interesting family rumours. They both think that Emily, went with her family to Scandinavia, one thought Finland, the other Norway. However it appears that Jane Ann ended up on the Gold Coast in Australia, tying in with my Uncles memories (see earlier in the thread). I have not been able to find anything on Jane Ann Wyatt, not a marriage, not any emigration, not a death, not anything. All the matches that I've traced all come from the Wyatt side of the tree, I have found no matches that come from the Outterside tree.

So I really think that the person I'm looking for is the descendant of Emily Wyatt, and any suggestions of where to go from here would be greatly appreciated, perhaps I should start a new thread?

Here's hoping,

Mark.