Author Topic: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated  (Read 1096 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate further information on a William Hobbs born 25 JAN 1837 • Crawley,
His father was John Hobbs and his mother was Jane Gibbens   Jane passed and the last I can locate William is on the 1851 census when he is 14 and living with his father and second mother and has a occupation of Bakers son employed at home, the same as his elder brother Samuel.  This family had a history of being bakers and the profession runs through many lines.
Name:   William Hobbs
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1837
Relation:   Son
Father's name:   John Hobbs
Mother's name:   Ann Hobbs
Where born:   Crawley, Surrey, England
Civil Parish:   Cuckfield
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:   
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
Town:   Cuckfield
County/Island:   Sussex
Street address:
Registration district:   Cuckfield
Sub-registration district:   Lindfield

The only other clue I found is a William Hobbs with correct age on on a Passengers list to New York where it states he is immigrating but his profession is listed as Labourer.
NameWilliam HobbsArrival Date28 Apr 1855Birth Dateabt 1837Age18GenderMaleEthnicity/ NationalityEnglishPlace of OriginEnglandPort of DepartureLondon, EnglandDestinationUnited States of AmericaPort of ArrivalNew York, New YorkShip NameSir Robert PeelSearch Ship DatabaseSir Robert PeelWilliam Hobbs - Apr 1855 - New York, New York London, England London, England - Male - Sir Robert Peel

I am not sure my William is the one immigrating.  If the profession was baker I would be pretty sure.   Could anyone have a look at the 1861/71 census and see if there is something I am missing as I cannot find a trace of him or give any advice.

Thank you and best wishes from Canada

Jim

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
I can't see him in England in 1861/1871.  His step mother and half siblings are around.

It's possible he was a labourer at the time (if it was him emigrating) or that was the occupation required where he was going rather than something specific like a baker  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.