Author Topic: RE Sunderland daily echo and shipping Gazette look up please  (Read 880 times)

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RE Sunderland daily echo and shipping Gazette look up please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo
That's given me lots of info. I didn't know about being able to tell that about the graves, very interesting.
I'll have a look at the mere knolls site now thank you so much

Claire

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
A 'purchased' grave is one where, when the first burial happens the family paid for rights of further burial in that grave - so that later, other family members could be buried there (though the number of burials in one grave would be limited) and a grave stone could be erected.

As the burial register shows that Sarah is in Ward 12, Section A, grave 1721 and Alfonso is in the same Ward and Section but in grave 1776, its fairly safe to assume that (unsurprisingly given their ages when they died and the fact they left children) the extra money to purchase the right of future burials wasn't available.

As such it is 'extremely' unlikely that there will be a headstone for either of them.

Boo

Offline rainecooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 September 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks again boo
It's really interesting and quite sad to read too.
My dad can remember "aunt" Nancy and Beatrice the children who were left behind but he can't remember the reasons behind their parents deaths. Sadly non of the older generation are still with us to enlighten me.