Author Topic: Sloane-Toal or Tole,Edingburgh -Dumfries.  (Read 704 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sloane-Toal or Tole,Edingburgh -Dumfries.
« on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello all looking for anyone who has a connection to my great great grandfather Thomas Toal
sometimes Tole.
Studied at (dickies) Edingburgh vet school early 1800's.
Married Selina or Lenny Macmaster her family were plantation people Scots descent.
One son David born in Killmarnock about 1833.
Lived county Down Northern Ireland travelled between the two countries.
He bought and trained horses for the British govenment.
Sloane family lived Donaghmore county Down but have family in Dumfries?.
regards tobyma123. :)

James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Sloane-Toal or Tole,Edingburgh -Dumfries.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
There aren't very many Toles or Toles in the indexes at Scotland's People, and no sign of your David or of a marriage of Thomas to Selena MacMaster. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies is now part of the University of Edinburgh. It might be worth asking the university archives if they have anything on Thomas Tole/Toal. https://www.ed.ac.uk/information-services/library-museum-gallery/crc/collections/archives
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian thank for your prompt reply.
It is possible that Thomas and Selena (Lenny) were married in NI as all their children
were baptised in the church of Ireland.
I posted both Tole and Toal as later the children changed the spelling of their name to Toal.
I will try Edingburgh  to see if they have anything as i could do with a date for his studies.
Thank  very much for your time.
regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Thomas and Selena (Lenny) were married in NI as all their children
were baptised in the church of Ireland.
Ah. The Church of Ireland is Anglican. The Anglican church in Scotland is the Scottish Episcopal Church (or the Episcopal Church in Scotland). Their baptism and marriage registers are not included in the Scotland's People database, and they are not easy to find because if they have survived at all, they are either still in the individual churches, or in diocesan or other archives.

I will try Edingburgh  to see if they have anything as i could do with a date for his studies.
I think the Edinburgh (NB not 'Edingburgh'! ;)) university archives are probably your best bet.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sloane-Toal or Tole,Edinburgh -Dumfries.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian  sorry for the wrong spelling of Edinburgh  I am Scots descent  should know better.
I think you may be right so will have a look at the archives.
It might be Ireland I need to look at for other info marriage etc.
This is my brick wall easier to find all info on his sons that went to the US,
Which I have.
Thank's again.
tobyma123. :)