Author Topic: Looking for my ancestors GEAR surname  (Read 2948 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my ancestors GEAR surname
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Used copies on Amazon for $35 Canadian.  You can likely get it in on interlibrary loan at your local library.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Partial book online -- found the reference here:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=xthPRn6y27sC&q=gear#v=snippet&q=gear&f=false

You will note also in the book is the arrival of a Thomas Gear, also the son of John of Cloyne, arrived with his wife, Anne Power, on January 8, 1846.

And on the 2nd May 1847 is a Redmond Gear, a shoemaker, also of Cloyne.

So, if your Michael was the son of a Michael, this is likely not him.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Used copies on Amazon for $35 Canadian.  You can likely get it in on interlibrary loan at your local library.
Thank you so much for the link to the exerpts from the book very helpful will trawl through tomorrow .
I have the Baptism for Michael Gear 25th May 1842 Midleton Co Cork Parents Michael Gear & Abbey Murphy.
There seems to be several Gear families all interconnected I think (unusual enough name later varied to Geary).
My gggrandparents were Thomas Gear & Johannah Quinn - lived in Midleton Co Cork. Johannah died in 1840 age 51 and I recently found her buried in Cloyne and am awaiting the Civil Death Cert for her husband Thomas died 1873 aged 87 . I believe the family originated in Cloyne Co Cork.
 :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Eileenwilson an update have contacted Holy Cross Cemetery in Halifax NS and had a lenghty reply confirming Abigail Gears burial there also a list of all the Gear families  including Michael Gear who died as a Pauper also buried there. Rgds

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
So glad you were able to get some good information from them and confirm their place of burial.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 September 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
1891 Census for Michael Jr. shows him with his wife, Cartha, and children John W., aged 10; Mary, aged 5, Walter, aged 4, and Guy, aged 2.

The 2 yr old Guy that eileenwilson refers to was boarding with farmer, Joseph Powell and wife Esther Powell in the 1901 census.  By 1911, Guy, age 22 and no occupation, is still living with Joseph, and listed as his adopted son.

In 1901, Mary is shown with (presumably) a younger brother, Thomas J. Gear, age 9, both working as domestics for William Canning, a farmer.
In 1908, Mary is down in New Hampshire, USA, and marries Michael McClintock.  She indicates that her parents, Michael Gear and Ceretha Wiles are deceased, and that she was born in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. 

I haven't looked too hard for the other children, as I'm not sure how far you are following this branch.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you bbart for the information - all information on Gear families is welcome :)