Author Topic: 68th Foot Regiment 1841 - a Route - desert  (Read 402 times)

Offline pineapple88

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
68th Foot Regiment 1841 - a Route - desert
« on: Sunday 09 September 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all

So I have come across a possibility of GGGrandfather who was a soldier and possible in the 68th Foot Regiment. There is a record I found that may be him but with a name like Joseph Smith..

I was wondering if anyone has anyway of finding out any more on him being in the 68th Foot. He came from Rothwell/ Hunslet /Leeds area died before 1861. He was in the 68th Foot in 1845 I know he was listed as a soldier in his childs baptism record.

Theres a possibiity that he was in the crimera and died out there.
Thanks for any help anyone can help with this - if they can find him on a list. His trade was shoemaker (cordwainer).
Thanks so
pineapple

SIMPSON Hunslet Woodhouse and New York.
MIDGLEY Hunslet, Leeds,
SMITH Hunslet & Woodhouse Leeds
METCALFE, Leeds and Ireland
HOLDSWORTH, West Yorkshire area
DALTON West Yorkshire
HODGES, leeds, birmingham and Hednesford
Hook Townend Carr  Leeds West Yorkshire
Dakin - Leeds West Yorkshire
HOLDSWORTH & Pullan West Yorkshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 68th Foot Regiment 1841 - a Route - desert
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
As I wrote on your other thread:

Looking at men named Joseph Smith in the 68th regiment I can see two in the 1851 "worldwide index" which is drawn from muster books and pay lists. They were then serving in Malta. They were numbered 2084 and 2466.  Both fought in the Crimean War (and survived) and were present at the battles of Alma and Inkerman.

2466 joined the army in 1846 so it's not your man. 2084 seems likely.

I haven't found anything else on Joseph Smith 2084. If he died in service, or did not serve long enough to go on to pension, his army records would most likely have been destroyed.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pineapple88

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 68th Foot Regiment 1841 - a Route - desert
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun
Thanks yes your correct you told me on the other thread I forgot it was on here. I wondered if anyone had any further details on any lists that might clarify this was Joseph Smith. I did review 2084 on Fold3.

I also found out that 2084 there is a Private Joseph Smith (No.2804) listed on the 68th Crimean Memorial in Leeds Minster - this memorial was erected to commemorate those soldiers of the 68th from the Leeds area who died in the Crimea. . He is listed in the casualty rolls as dying of disease in the camp besieging Sevastopol on the 21.03.1855. This could be the same man but 'Joseph Smith' is fairly common name and it would need further evidence to tie it together fully, so
I have this evening emailed the Durham Museum so may get some further info on there, they may hold service records perhaps.

Thanks
SIMPSON Hunslet Woodhouse and New York.
MIDGLEY Hunslet, Leeds,
SMITH Hunslet & Woodhouse Leeds
METCALFE, Leeds and Ireland
HOLDSWORTH, West Yorkshire area
DALTON West Yorkshire
HODGES, leeds, birmingham and Hednesford
Hook Townend Carr  Leeds West Yorkshire
Dakin - Leeds West Yorkshire
HOLDSWORTH & Pullan West Yorkshire