Author Topic: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ronald grew up in the Harvey Goodwin Children's Home.
He was christened in the Holy Sepchure Church, commonly known as The Round Church, in 1940 when he was 9 years of age.

He took on an apprentice when he left school at about the age or fourteen or fifteen, so around 1945/6.

Does anyone know where he could have done his apprenticeship in that area?
It is believed that the company is still in existance.

Thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:23 BST (UK) »
Did he marry & if so what was his occ?

It may be a clue to what his apprenticeship was & the address on his marriage may be near to where he done his apprenticeship?
Witnesses to the marriage may be a help too?
Maybe a friend from work (in the same trade) rather than family?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
The Children's Home is the last known place for Ronald....... ,  Annie.

We are trying to trace him from the home.

All we know is that he entered into an apprenticeship. What the apprenticeship was in we have no idea hence the question about companies that were in the area of the Home and are still in existence.

We do know that he wasn't one of the children in a Children's Home who was sent to Australia, Canada etc. for a so called "better life".

All searches for him have drawn a blank so whether he has changed his surname or not can be a possibility however using the name of his father, which is given on his baptism entry (no father named on his birth certificate), again nothing can be found.

An article to the Cambridge Newspaper has been sent but unfortunately that has not resulted in any responses hence my now asking for help on here.

Thanks

SNG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
According to my emails others have replied to my original post.
Unfortunately when I click on the email link I am being informed that there is an "error".

Consequently I cannot see the replies others have made. I've also noticed that they do not appear after Annie's reply.

I did have trouble posting my message last night so whether this is why I cannot find the replies I have no idea.

Apologies for not commenting on your posts. Please could I ask you to repost them.
SNG

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Can you confirm that this person is now deceased as Rootschat has a “no living persons” policy and you have given a surname for him in your reply above. Annie is Rosinish

What is your interest in Ronald?  Is he connected to another of your ancestors?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
I deliberately haven't given a surname CarolW because we have no idea if Ronald is alive or dead.

I am asking on behalf of someone in Australia who I have been helping.
Her father was sent to Australia under the "better life" in the late 1940s.
She is trying to find his half brother.

I am trying to eliminate companies in the area hence my asking about companies that were around in the late 1940s and are still trading now in the 21st century.

Thanks
SNG

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Ahh!  I see you have now put spaces etc between Ronald and Annie.  I thought it was an odd surname  ;D

As he was a teenager by the 1940’s and wasn’t adopted -  I think it’s probably  unlikely he would change his name.    If no death is showing - he may still be alive if still in this country.

Is his half brother younger or older than him?

Would you be prepared to pm me his full details and I’ll see if I can come up with anything off board?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi SNG

The error messages are caused because you seem to have started 2 similar/identical topics which were merged into one. After a merger one set of numbers becomes obsolete which would have been after you received an earlier email that there was a reply.

It is unlikely the moderator doing the merge would have removed any information that is not here now.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn.

I had trouble posting my message last night. My ipad went off at one time so maybe the message did go through then hence the slightly different wording.

My apologies for the error and thank you for explaining what has happened.

Pam