Author Topic: Surrey marriages enquiry  (Read 650 times)

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surrey marriages enquiry
« on: Monday 10 September 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Richard Loveland SKINNER was born on 11-11-1804 and baptised on 30-12-1804 in Carshalton .
The family were still in Carshalton in 1818 when the Richards brother William was baptised and sadly died. The parents died , mother in 1841 and father 1842 in this area. They had 9 children in all, only Richard and his brother Thomas b 1809 ( who remains elusive - but have not ruled out migration  like or even with Richard) have no obvious record in Surrey other than their baptism.

I am looking for a marriage  of this Richard SKINNER circa 1834 to a Mary Ann , surname possibly SIMs  or LEWIS or similar name ( this surname is recorded on one of their children's marriage entries in Canada) It is suspected he migrated to Canada most probably with Mary Ann ( see separate posting ) No trace of any migration and arrival has been identified.

on the 1851 Canadian census Mary Ann's age is declared as aged 33 at next birthday, with the census probably recorded early January.  Richards age is a little low than "perfect" at 41, but this could of course be  47. By 1861 Mary Ann is a widow, her age 42, further suggesting a marriage pre 1834 unlikely.
The 1851 Canadian census also declares that all their 4 children were born in Canada, the eldest being born in circa 1834.
If all these records are correct of course , many possible scenarios emerge. They did declare their children as Canadian in 1851, in later census entries the children do refer to their nationality as English.
No church entry has yet come to light suggesting they had any children in England.
Any help with finding a pertinent record would be fantastic.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey marriages enquiry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Can you give the ref for the 1851 census, or say where they are, as I'm having trouble spotting it?

Sorry, I was assuming in England, but maybe they were in Canada then!!!

Modified to add:  I see you have revised your post to say Canadian census now.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surrey marriages enquiry
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Not wanting to make it any more difficult, but you do need to consider that Mary Ann may not have been the mother of the first three children.  There is a huge gap between Sarah and Emma and Mary Ann would have been very young when the first child was born.

Debra  :)