Author Topic: Church of Ireland registers are going to be digitised  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Ireland registers are going to be digitised
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 October 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Sadly it's the wrong era for me but will be very welcomed by many however...

I don't understand why, the way English/Welsh & Irish sites work when compared with the way Scotland have theirs, so easy to use & navigate (when you know the workings) compared to the others?

Annie
Can't comment on Scottish sites as I've never used one but Irish Genealogy and the National Archives sites are simple to use.

Indeed, Sinann, they are excellent sites and are FREE to use  ;D ;D
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Woohoo👍👍👍👍, the first promising tip I have had while searching for the names of my Irish 3rd great grandmothers who were not named on the 1845 Dublin marriage certificate on the  C.O.I. marriage cert of my 2xIrish Great Grandparent.  I don't have a clue who the mother of the bride was, all I know about her is that her name was Mary Jane Fleming, and later found that the groom's mother's name was Sarah Annie (or Anna). Hope springs eternal!

Cheers
jeanne😀
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful news to hear :D  Hey JB I have an Irish Sarah, but she was also known as Sally, just something to put away in your little box of enigmas ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
They are ready to start work
https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2019/01/rcb-library-restricts-access-to.html

I’m so excited! I hope they upload them in batches as they are completed so we will be able to start perusing the records before the entire project is completed.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 January 19 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful news to hear :D  Hey JB I have an Irish Sarah, but she was also known as Sally, just something to put away in your little box of enigmas ;D

Cheers
KHP

Thank you! 🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 January 19 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Woohoo👍👍👍👍, the first promising tip I have had while searching for the names of my Irish 3rd great grandmothers who were not named on the 1845 Dublin marriage certificate on the  C.O.I. marriage cert of my 2xIrish Great Grandparent.  I don't have a clue who the mother of the bride was, all I know about her is that her name was Mary Jane Fleming, and later found that the groom's mother's name was Sarah Annie (or Anna). Hope springs eternal!

Cheers
jeanne😀

Unfortunately they only required the names of the fathers of the bride and groom for civil registration then.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 January 19 06:50 GMT (UK) »

Cheers
jeanne😀

Unfortunately they only required the names of the fathers of the bride and groom for civil registration then.

These have nothing to do with Civil Reg.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 January 19 07:46 GMT (UK) »

These have nothing to do with Civil Reg.

For a Protestant marriage it may have something to do with it, because this was the first year that Protestant marriages were registered, and the churches used the approved stationery and then forwarded the information to the registrar.

If the name of the mother of the bride is in the CoI record that's a bonus indeed.