Author Topic: I am not sure how to find out if this is my 3 x g grandmother.  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Redmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I am not sure how to find out if this is my 3 x g grandmother.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
I notice on Thomas Southern’s army records that he was AWOL between 1890 and Dec 1891. This may explain why he and Elizabeth were using a different surname in 1891.
I also noticed on Joseph’s army record that his wife Minnie said in one of her letters that Thomas and Elizabeth were her aunt and uncle. I wonder if the relationship was with her rather than Joseph.
Isobel

This is really interesting. I have always wondered why they changed their name on that one census. I wouldn’t have thought that Elizabeth could be Minnie’s aunt as her family originated from Wales. I will have a look at the tree and see if she had an Aunt Elizabeth.

Thank you I really appreciate all the input.

Offline Redmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have been at a brick wall with my 3 x G Grandparents Joseph & Mary Redding for the last 16 years mainly because they are Irish.

About 6 months ago I found a marriage certificate for my 3 x G Aunt (Mary’s sister). I was really excited as it listed her father’s name and assumed this was also Mary’s father and thought I could get a lot further with my research but sadly not.

Hello Redmore

A 'Steward' of Land was a most important occupation, some were Solicitors or had Legal knowledge.

They were usually responsible for the managing of Large Estates for the Lord of the Manor or Local Landowner.

An ancestor of mine was a Bailiff responsible for accounts and worked under a Steward on a Forest Estate between the Steward and the Copyholders / Leaseholders / Tenants.

What is his place location and year when he gives his occupation as Steward?

Some Estate records survive which can be quite scant, whilst others are massive collections and highly detailed. Just the sub-heading paper indexes of some collections take up small volume/s.

The Lord or Landowner might have held Land in many Counties and some are now in many County Archive collections today, or occasionally a record still with his descendants.

----------

If he was a Steward at death of a fair size to large Estate and his employer an amiable chap with his employees, it is possible a Steward's funeral would get a small paragraph or report in the local newspaper?

Mark

I have absolutely no information about his occupation unfortunately. The only reason that I know that this was his occupation is because it is stated on Mary’s death certificate. I have always thought this could be the key to getting more information.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you have access to FindMyPast at Home / Local Library / History Society, you should be able to access the British Newspaper Archive (BNA newspapers).

Due to Optical Character Recognition scanning of old print, it does not read many words in some old newspapers around some periods, but sometimes a surname alone, or surname first (names in reverse order), or place, or somtimes only with "died" or "deaths" from the death date for about a month and run down each of the columns.

Some local newspapers were printing, but some of these are not yet scanned.

Of course it can be very disappointing, if after a thorough search, to conclude that no Death / Died Notice was likely placed. e.g. J. Smith, gardener, of this town, well respected.

But there are some real golden snippets for further research, sometimes!

Mark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 September 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
I have tried that previously with no joy but as you say there are difficulties.

Just for information
Marriage 1879
Joseph Redding Steward place of residence Mountrath.
Father Thomas Redding, Farmer.

Birth 1880
Thomas Redding, Ballynaslee
Father Joseph Redding, Land Steward, Place of residence Boyle, Co. Roscommon.

We do not know though if these are our people.

Mary Redding p.o.b Ireland
Joseph, son p.o.b Ireland

Next door
Elizabeth Southern p.o.b. Queens County, Ireland

Elizabeth as above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 September 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
I now don’t think this is the right marriage.
FindMyPast have scans of Irish Dog License applications ( who knew!!). There is a Joseph Redding ( living in Roscommon) obtaining licenses pretty well continuously from 1881 through beyond 1911. They are for the kinds of dogs you would associate with someone like a Land Steward - terriers, sheep dogs etc. Given that Joseph is said to be if Roscommon on the birth of Thomas Redding in Kilkenny in 1880, I had a look at the 1901 and 1911 Irish census. Found a Joseph Redding with wife Mary in the right area with appropriate  ages in 1911. He was a Farmer. Drew a blank initially in 1901, but then tried just looking for a Joseph of the correct age and found a Joseph Redwood. Checking the actual entry surname is clearly Redding and Joseph is a Steward. He is from Wicklow but wife Mary is from Kilkenny, which matches Mary Bachelor. I therefore think this is the couple who married in 1879 and that they are not the couple we are looking for.

Isobel

Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism on Ancestry ( Catholic Parish Registers 1655 - 1915) for an Elizabeth Moore daughter of Michael Moore and Mary Anne Berry. She was baptised 1869 at St Mary’s Dublin, but born 1867. Two other children also baptised Charlotte Jane 1870 and Michael Angelo 1872. Can’t find any of these births in the statutory records.
Isobel

Offline Redmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
I now don’t think this is the right marriage.
FindMyPast have scans of Irish Dog License applications ( who knew!!). There is a Joseph Redding ( living in Roscommon) obtaining licenses pretty well continuously from 1881 through beyond 1911. They are for the kinds of dogs you would associate with someone like a Land Steward - terriers, sheep dogs etc. Given that Joseph is said to be if Roscommon on the birth of Thomas Redding in Kilkenny in 1880, I had a look at the 1901 and 1911 Irish census. Found a Joseph Redding with wife Mary in the right area with appropriate  ages in 1911. He was a Farmer. Drew a blank initially in 1901, but then tried just looking for a Joseph of the correct age and found a Joseph Redwood. Checking the actual entry surname is clearly Redding and Joseph is a Steward. He is from Wicklow but wife Mary is from Kilkenny, which matches Mary Bachelor. I therefore think this is the couple who married in 1879 and that they are not the couple we are looking for.

Isobel

Thank you so much Isobel. I am almost certain that Joseph Redding (Mary’s husband) had died by 1881. At least I can rule Mary Bachelor out for sure now. I am hoping that my ancestry DNA test might give me some other clues, although with Joseph being an only child I am not that convinced it will help.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting Isobel.
Redwood has said he is doubtful and maybe he is right.

Mary Redding was born before Civil registration.
So that means that we still don’t have Joseph’s birth either.

The Dog Licenses are an interesting feature of records. I discovered my grandfather at one time had a ‘yellow cur’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk