Author Topic: Pugh Family Germany.  (Read 709 times)

Offline tawe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pugh Family Germany.
« on: Monday 10 September 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Im looking for the Family of my Gr Uncle Frederick John Pugh. He was stationed in Germany in the Second World War. Long story but he came home to Wales after the War & found out his wife had had an affair so he left & went back to Germany & started a new life & Family.
 So any help would be appreciated for where I could start to look.
 Thank you in advance.

Tawe.
Flynn . Morgan .  Pugh . Sales. Davies.
Grove . Rees. Morriston Swansea

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pugh Family Germany.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Have you found his death location? Do you now his year of birth? Try and collect as much about information him as you can and where exactly he has lived.

These are things that would help you hunt for the rest of his family.

We can't help you with living decendants but you might find if you are researching Frederick John Pugh and his ancestors eventually his decendants will find your post
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline tawe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Yes I know his date of birth. My Grandmother had the Salvation Army look for him years ago & the met up again but since his death & my Grandmother we have lost touch with his children from his second marriage & they don't live in the same town anymore.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I realise that many people don't even have a landline any more these days, but perhaps it's worth taking a look at the German 'phone book. There are only a handful of Pugh's in it...

https://www.dasoertliche.de/Controller?choose=true&page=0&context=0&action=43&topKw=0&form_name=search_nat&kw=pugh

I assume you know (some of) their first names, so maybe you will strike lucky.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline tawe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much!! will try this new info!! thank you
Tawe :)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome.  :)

If you need any help with that, just let me know. I'm not averse to contacting complete strangers in the course of family history research.   ;D

Best regards,
Karen
(in Wolfenbüttel, N. Germany)

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
do you know if there was a Wayne P Pugh as one of the children born in Germany ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome.  :)

If you need any help with that, just let me know. I'm not averse to contacting complete strangers in the course of family history research.   ;D

Best regards,
Karen
(in Wolfenbüttel, N. Germany)

Hi Karen

As welcome as your suggestion is, it is not recommended on Rootschat and many other sites to cold-call people on the phone.

You will have no idea what is going on at the other end: they could be ill, suffering a bereavement, be in the middle of a slanging match etc.

The best advice offered here and elsewhere is to write an old-fashioned letter explaining who you are and what you are contacting them about.

By all means include your own postal address, telephone number and email address and then give them the time to read and digest your letter before making their reply if they reply at all.

As many here have found to their cost, the people at the other end of the letter may have no interest in family history and the contents could bring back extremely painful memories you are not aware of and ones they may wish to forget.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

As welcome as your suggestion is, it is not recommended on Rootschat and many other sites to cold-call people on the phone.

I agree entirely. And if you look at my posts here, you will see that I have not once mentioned calling people by 'phone.
The link to the telephone book could be helpful because it is (theoretically) up-to-date, i.e. the people listed are probably still alive and living at the addresses shown.
The point with that particular online telephone book is that the addresses are shown, enabling the use of good old-fashioned paper letters. (Something which I still love using, although the opportunities are becoming less and less frequent...)
My offer of help was primarily regarding the language barrier.

Furthermore, Tawe mentioned that "we have lost touch with his children", which would imply that Tawe had been in contact with these people at some stage. I assume that Tawe knows their full names; if any of them are indeed listed in the telephone book and if Tawe did indeed call them, it would not be a cold call, it would be renewing a contact.

Best regards,
Karen