Author Topic: Elizabeth RENWICK  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth RENWICK
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:16 BST (UK) »
Deaths of children:

RENNICK Jane parents Rennick James and Eliza (Harmon) 1904 6780 aged 61

RENNICK Jas Saml parents Rennick James and Eliza (Harman) 1920 8327 aged 63

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:19 BST (UK) »
A detailed online tree for this family, with Isabella sadly dying aboard the Marco Polo  :-[ :-[ :-[
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:22 BST (UK) »
A detailed online tree for this family, with Isabella sadly dying aboard the Marco Polo  :-[ :-[ :-[

I was just wondering that myself, as no reference to her on VICBDM.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
That makes sense, as, I think, the list with Isabella is the actual passenger list, made at embarkation while the one without her is made at the end of the voyage.

How sad.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:28 BST (UK) »
oh how sad.  It should be in the ship's log, or perhaps in the surgeon's report.  Sometimes a mention is made in the newspaper shipping arrival type announcement.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:33 BST (UK) »
Buried together at Geelong Western Public Cemetery:

Rennick Jane 26 May 1904 WST-COE-1-807-0687
Rennick Eliza 13 Jul 1890 WST-COE-1-807-0687   
Rennick James 12 Feb 1896 WST-COE-1-807-0686

Added: son James and wife Annabella buried at Shepparton Public Cemetery:

RENNICK JAMES S. 11-6-1920 CHURCH OF ENGLAND B 8
RENNICK ANNABELLA 23-6-1939 B 7

Also in B 7:

RENNICK   JOHN OLIVER 13-Jun-1888
RENNICK   WILLIAM HERBERT no date

Jamjar

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Sadly it seems that the Marco Polo lost a number of children on that voyage - huge number of immigrants.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/662732
The Marco Polo, which left Liverpool with the still more inordinate number or 930 immigrants, lost 53 on her passage by death, only 2 of whom were adults.
The very reprehensible practice of crowding such immense numbers in a ship for such a long
passage appears, therefore, to be peculiarly fatal to children.

Another report:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4787230
THE MARCO POLO.-This ship has made the quickest passage that any sailing vessel has ever made to this port. She left Liverpool on the 4th July, sighted Cape Otway, 1st September., and anchored in the East Channel inside the Port Phillip Heads, on the 16th instant, thus making the passage from land to land in 68 days, or from port to port in 74 days.
She brings the large number of 886 Government emigrants, her original number being 939. Fifty-
three deaths occurred on board, out of which there are only 2 adults. The following is the classification of the emigrants, when they first started: married
couples, 350; single men, 114; single women, 139;
boy's under 14, 157; girls do, 136; children under 1, 34

There are other mentions on TROVE

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
Son William died QLD:

1932 C3816 William Oliver Rennick parents James and Eliza Harman

His Obit, 2nd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article217524395

First wife was Ann Marie Trewin 1876
Second wife was Rebecca Wilson 1878

The brother mentioned in the obit, born VIC and died QLD:

1853 23190 RENNICK Harman

1933 C2627 Harman Rennick parents James and Eliza Harriet Boyd

Obit, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article216411462

Jamjar

Jamjar

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again, thank you for all your replies, to Jamjar, in answer to your query saying it would be nice to know who I thought she was. I am actually researching the name McGovern. John McGovern's wife was Elizabeth Renwick. I thought she was alone on the Marco Polo hence my asking about her, however I have now been told that John and Elizabeth both came to Australia from Ireland (possibly County cork in Tipperary). They had several children. I cannot find them anywhere in Australia. I do have info on one of their sons, James McGovern who says he was born in Geelong on his marriage cert. here in NZ and on his death cert it says Melbourne. His father was a miner so I guess he went to Australia for the goldfields. James was born 1862/3. He eventually came to NZ to our goldfields and at the age of 23 married a Mary Carr.

Getting back to John and Elizabeth McGovern (nee Renwick), Now I know that the Elizabeth I was initially asking about is not mine can I now be permitted to ask for John and Elizabeth and if anyone can find them. They were catholics. The years would be of course before 1863. Others who have helped me cant find them either.If John went for the goldfields the family would go with him to the goldfields yes??? I don't suppose there would be a database of miners obtaining licenses would there. Again thank you for any help or advice and thanks for all the other people who took the time to send me what they found.
P.S. I don't know the names of the other children but I do know that four came to NZ and four stayed in Australia.

Popsit/NZ
Be good to your Mum