Author Topic: Defynnog Village Shopkeeper David Williams 1812  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Defynnog Village Shopkeeper David Williams 1812
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am still looking for Benjamin Williams, born 1817, in Breconshire, possibly Defynnog.

He may have been a brother of Ebenezer Williams, baptised 1810 by David Williams Shopkeeper and his wife Ann at Brychgoed Independent Chapel, Defynnog.

Unfortunately the baptism records for this Chapel (as shown on FindMyPast) seem to be missing for the period 1814 to 1822 so I can't check for a Benjamin Williams.

The record for Ebenezer shows he was baptised by David Williams Shopkeeper with wife Ann. please see attached... They also baptised Ann in 1812 with the additional information that David Williams was a shopkeeper in Devynnock Village

There are earlier records for a David Williams and Anne baptising David, Jane, Thomas, and John at the same Chapel, please see attached....

These earlier records have David Williams and Anne (not Ann) of Llan (presumably Llanspyddid) with no mention of David being a shopkeeper

Maybe David Williams of Llan moved to Devynog Village and took up shopkeeping, and the minister was sloppy about Ann(e)'s name?

Any help in finding Benjamin Williams with the attached possible clues will be greatly appreciated!!!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Defynnog Village Shopkeeper David Williams 1812
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
The 'Llan' could refer to Llandovery rather than Llanspyddid, of course.  The villages in that area tended (and still do) to look towards the west and Llandovery,  rather than east towards Brecon.  Of course you might well already have a familial link to Llanspyddid, but just in case you haven't, I thought I'd mention it.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Defynnog Village Shopkeeper David Williams 1812
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Greensleeves,

I think the Minister may have remarked that David Williams was from another Chapel, possibly using "Llan" as an abbreviation for Llandeilo'r Fan; the next Parish.

Cheers,
Llanfi   :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser