Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14376 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #189 on: Friday 09 November 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Cecil Abbott Thomson's baptism from family search
Name:   Cecil Abbott
Event Type:   Christening
Event Place:   Byker St Michael, Northumberland, England
Christening Date:   20 May 1903
Father's Name:   Cecil Abbott Thomson

Mother's Name:   Annie Thomson

Digital Folder Number   103064052
Image Number   00137
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline DavidT81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am the great grandson of Dave Thomson... and have recently been researching my family history/ancestry. My great grandads history has never been clear, there were rumours he was born at Stirling army barracks.. and we know he was a Sargent in WW11 . Unfortunately he died just before i was born and although my dad (son of Harry) was close to his grandad, there was little discussion about his origins.
I’ve have stumbled, quite unbelievably, on this research thread and after reading all, I can only thank you for all of the hard work that has gone into this... I can not believe we now know Abbot/Cecil. Emotional throughout  with my Granda Harry’s tribute to his mother Ninas death... it’s been amazing. I have immediately told my dad of this research and i know it will mean so much to him ..... just thank you !!! (I know this was a while ago and not sure anybody will see this - but needed to thank you all anyways ) 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat David, I see you have already discovered what a great resource it is :-)

This was a very long and involved thread, I'd advise clicking on "Print" at the top of the page, printing out a hard copy and / or highlighting the entire text and saving it to a text file on your pc.
Then go through it and sort out a timeline of the events - at that stage you can check it out and if there are any records that are missing that would confirm/ deny what we found, get copies of those to prove the conclusions we came to.  If you are in the North East and can get to the archives a lot of the records are held there on microfilm.

I was involved in a small way to help unravel this and am really pleased you have found it and its helped you, as I am sure everyone else will be.

Boo

Offline DavidT81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo

Thanks for your advice.. I will definitely print out a hard copy. For somebody that I’ve heard so much about and even named after, there is so little info about his history. I had nothing and despite getting back some way with other branches of the family (Nana Nina) .. was at a dead end with Dave’s parents. Amazing work!!

Cheers Boo

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David just saw your post now. Pleased to meet you, I started the Thomson tree for a friend that lives next door to me.  Her father was David Gordon your granddad's brother.   

I am glad this thread was able to help you and if you need any more information let me know.

Karen
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Karytay

Just wondering, did you ever get that marriage certificate for David and Nina ?

Boo

Offline DavidT81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

You have done an amazing job! Can’t thank you and the guys on here enough. Yes, Uncle Dave (G) was my Granda Harry’s identical twin... they were characters!
I’ve been on to my parents and Aunty with your findings ... All are over the moon and very appreciative.
I’ve been doing my own research (just a total novice) but can get carried away and spend hours tracing people back before I even realise.
If I get stuck ... might just give you a shout.

Thanks again Karen

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Pleasure David. Just be warned, family tree story/genealogy is addictive  ;D Once the bug bites that it!  :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Karytay

Just wondering, did you ever get that marriage certificate for David and Nina ?

Boo

Yes, your friend was going to order it over a year ago!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk