Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
The marriage can be found quite easily on Free BMD index - Mar 1930  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
It might help others when  researching  if you can let others know his religion - was he RC or Church of England etc?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Ok! let me start again, David Gordon Thomson born 25 Aug 1930 this date was on his death registration. He died in 2001 Newcastle Upon Tyne. On his birth registration all it has for his mother is her surname Patterson.

Now his daughter tells me her father David Gordon Thomson's mother's name was Nina and his father David. this is all she knows of her grandparents.

So armed with this info I looked for a marriage registration for a David Thomson and Nina Patterson ( this from David Gordon's birth registration as well as his brothers.) Found David and Nina marriage 1930 Newcastle upon Tyne.

Nina Patterson I have been able to go back even more for her. Her parents were - Henry Sidney Burleigh Patterson 1885 Liverpool, Lancashire, England-1955 Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England and Helen Mary Scott 1884 Heaton Newcastle On Tyne -1977 Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England.

But David Thomson I cannot find even a census for him. I even tried using his sons names for his father think he might of name one of his sons after his father. Nothing!

River Tyne Lass, I have no idea what his religion is. Have to as my friend.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Milliepede.

David Thomson was Roman Catholic.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
As others have said, the marriage cert looks like the first step.

How sure are you about his birthplace and birth year? There are LOTS of David Thomson births for the right period in Scotlands People for instance. It really would help if you can say what you know for definite and what your source is.

Given his age, its possible that he does not appear on the 1939 register as he was likely to have been in the forces.

If you have access to Ancestry they have electoral rolls for Newcastle.
 Nina and David Thomson are both listed in 1931 at 58 Mason St, Newcastle, St Lawrence Ward, along with Henry Sidney Patterson and Helen Mary Patterson

1938 and 1939 they are both listed at 78 Mason St, Newcastle

1952 David, Nina and David G (likely to be their son) at 50 Mason St
1955, 1956 David, Nina and Kenneth at 50 Mason St
1957 David and Nina at 50 Mason St

1958 50 Mason St , only has a David Thomson listed
1959 50 Mason St  just has a Henry S and Marguerite E Thomson listed

There are no registers in the database for 1960-1964
and I have run out of time to firkle after that, but I'd say that your David was still alive in 1957-1958, which at least narrows down the time frame for his death and the electoral registers which list him, his wife and a son are a fair indication these are the right people.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede & Boo for some clues.  I will try looking up for a marriage at St Lawrence RC Byker ..
Will get back soon ..
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
No, unfortunately can't see a marriage for them there. :-\

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tickettyboo I think you have found the family. I did look for the 1939 register on Find my Past but could not find it there. Will look at Ancestry again. Now that you have given me the info. 

Thanks to all of you for your patience and trouble in helping me, much appreciated.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Given his age, its possible that he does not appear on the 1939 register as he was likely to have been in the forces.

1938 and 1939 they are both listed at 78 Mason St, Newcastle

A free search on the 1939 Register shows Nina, David G. Kenneth D and Henry Thompson (note spelling of surname) at Mason Street. No David.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk