Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14443 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
I think the Ann Reed who dies Newcastle, June qtr 1907, age 40, is the first one to try to identify.
There a number of Ann/Annie Reeds of the right age in 1901, but none seems to fit easily, most can be tracked to 1911.

One I can't find in 1901 has a baby baptised when living 7 doors away from Abbot Thomson and family in 1896, so she is worth tracking down. Reed is her married name, but still worth tracking down just to eliminate her.

William Reed age 25 (father - William Reed) marries Ann Connell age 23 (father Richard Connell), 20 Nov 1889, Byker St. Michael.

In 1891 : 202 Parker St., Byker,
William Reed, 25, Railway Porter, b. Willington,
Annie Reed, wife, 24, b. Spittal,
Selby D. Reed, son, 10m, b. Jarrow.
RG12/4215/132/31

Selby is Selby Douglas Reed, in lodgings in Byker 1911.

Other children are Margaret Johnson Reed, baptised 18 June 1893 at Byker St. Michael.

And William Reed, baptised at Byker St. Michael 17 June 1896. On the free search facility on D.R.O, parents abode is 94 Thornborough St. Byker, although William is not on the Electoral Roll there. Abbot Thompson is on the Electoral Roll at number 80.

William Reed jnr is living with an Aunt in 1911, but I can't find any of them in 1901.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well, there is a lot to think about there. Thanks for these suggestions. 

The 1907 one Milliepede linked to Ovington - isn't that the Hexham area?  She isn't buried at Heaton either but I suppose she may have gone home for burial. 

Will think about all this and get back on this tomorrow.  I will likely run out of charge on Kindle soon and am not at home at the moment to recharge.

If my maths is correct it seems that Cecil Junior may have been conceived around 2 months after Elizabeth's death give or take.  I will have to check at some point if 1939 census will show his birth date. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
There are two Ann Reed deaths in Northumberland in June 1907. One in Hexham District age 73, that will be the Ovington death, Ovington is in Hexham district. And the one in Newcastle age 40.

Alan
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth is not at the family home with Cecil in 1901, so I suspect they were seperated. I checked somewhere near the start of this thread but couldn't find her in 1901. Maybe she was in hospital.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Cecil Abbot Thomson Jr. born 25 Jan 1903. Found on the 1939 register Occ. Plate helper shipyard
Wife Mary A Thomson b. 28 Oct 1902
Cecil A Thomson b. 25 Mar 1938
Living at 191 Parker Street
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have been looking over the information which you supplied yesterday and agree that the Ann Reed who died in Newcastle 1907 needs to be identified.  Thanks for researching all this background, which is very helpful.

As far as meeting criteria is concerned, this one certainly seems to be a suitable candidate for Cecil's partner Annie:

Reed surname
Evidence of having lived in close proximity to Cecil's family
Within suitable age bracket
Married woman
Appears to be no longer around by 1911

Thanks, Karytay, for supplying Cecil jnr's date of birth.  This seems to suggest that Cecil and Annie were together either just after or possibly even before the  death of Elizabeth.

I am on a run of nightshifts again, starting tonight but when I can next fit in a trip to the library I will certainly see if I can find out more.

It would be great if there was a mention of Cecil or the sons in any notices.  Then again, if just for the sake of protocol  she may only be referenced by the name of her legal husband or for diplomacy only brief details may be provided.  Or no notice may have been placed at all.  However, any burial record would likely provide home address where she may have died.  Let's just hope that any address found can be linked to Cecil. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Thursday 11 October 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm afraid it's bad news .. I have been able to fit some time in at the library this afternoon to do a proper search for Ann.  Unfortunately, there is no death notice.  Also, I can't find a burial at any Newcastle Cemeteries .. ???

Perhaps she was buried at a Church .. I just don't know ..

I think there is a Walker Cemetery which is part of a Church (according to what I was once told at the archives) but I think this Church has retained their records.

She looks a quite promising lead but I think if your friend may at some point want to investigate further she may have to buy the certificate and ask the bereavement services to do a check for her burial.  So unfortunately, as far as David's Mother is concerned 😟 she remains somewhat of a mystery.

However, I have managed to find Cecil's second wife's burial at Heaton Cemetery:

Entry: 34081
Mary Ann Thomson
Age 60
Death occurred at Northern General Hospital on 22 November 1931
Home address: 80 Corbridge Street, Byker (same address where Cecil died)
Burial Section J No 279

No death notice was placed.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass thanks for doing all this, taking time out during your busy working days. It is much appreciated. And thanks to the rest of you as well. I think all of you must stop for awhile until I can get my friend to look at all this.  And get her to do as you suggested, RTL.

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Karytay .. I just wish I had been able to find David's Mother today.  I suspect when the marriage certificate arrives it will show that Cecil Abbott Thomson will be down as the Father.  It is David's Mother who is proving to be the more elusive one.

After all this toing and froing with ideas about who Annie may be and what happened, my gut feeling is still that she died between 1905 and 1911 and is buried in Heaton Cemetery.  Of course, this still could be totally wrong.

As for me, I think I will have to stop for a while as I am now off to nightshift and will be doing a run of them.  Please let us know what friend thinks of all this when you have a chance to update her.  Perhaps she might have some ideas of her own to add.