Author Topic: Looking for a first marriage for John WOOD  (Read 1544 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a first marriage for John WOOD
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Is this Matthew's baptism at St Paul, Deptford
25 Apr 1819 son of John & Mary WOOD, Mariner, of Lower Rd
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 October 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
James and Matthew are definitely sons of John Wood & Mary Watson.
The children I have for them are:
John Wood 1808 (my ancestor)
Sarah Brooks Wood 1810
Mary Wood 1813
James Wood 1815
Agnes Wood 1818
Matthew Wood 1819

The first four born in Milton-next-Sittingbourne, and Agnes & Matthew born Deptford.
John's parents were William and Agnes, so I would have expected him to name a son William.

I should say that I do have an Ancestry sub now, which I didn't when I made the first post.

Bearkat - posts crossed.  Yes, I have all the baptisms except for the two mystery boys!
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 October 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find out much about Luke but it looks like he joined the Merchant Navy,
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of records for Milstead.

Looking at the KFHS records on CD - Queenborough marriages 1760 - 1798 are missing and may be others. If John married there you may never find out his bride. :-[

Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of records for Milstead.

Most of the family events seem to have been at Doddington.  I've got John's baptism (he's the youngest) and a brother and sister at Milstead, but all the older siblings were bpt at Doddington.  Both parents buried there too, with notes that they were from Milstead.  I haven't traced father William Wood beyond that, but mother Agnes was from Doddington and they married there.

Looking at the KFHS records on CD - Queenborough marriages 1760 - 1798 are missing and may be others. If John married there you may never find out his bride. :-[

Yes, it's a slim hope as he could have married anywhere really, and details are scarce unless there's a bit of luck again with something like a marriage licence.

I'm struggling to find out much about  Luke but it looks like he joined the Merchant Navy,

Interesting!  Where did you find that?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
Try searching FindMyPast education & work records.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
That does sound promising.  I don't have FindMyPast but will add it to my list of things to look at next time I manage to get a one month sub.

re little William, another possibility is that he was a nephew but as John was the youngest it's not likely as his brothers seem too old.  His next youngest brother Matthew (b.1762) married Mary Watson's sister, and I've got their children accounted for.