Author Topic: Help with my Hutchison family  (Read 2186 times)

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with my Hutchison family
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I need some help with William Hutchison (sometimes spelt Hutchinson/Hutcheson/Hutchenson). According to his census records he was born in Montrose in 1791. He joined the Army in Montrose in 1806 and put his age at 21 (1786), which makes me think he was probably lying about his age in order to join the military. He ended up in Tiverton, Devon after discharge and marrying Alice Pingstone, before dying in Tiverton in 1863. I've never been able to find a baptism for him or the names of any parents or siblings. Could anyone lend a helping hand?

Many thanks

Samuel
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my Hutchison family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Could he have been born to a family where they were already serving abroad? Napoleon etc? One of our lot was born in Minorca, think it was a garrison, and so very hard to discover his parentage until finally he popped up in England
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi what were the names of William children in birth order and do you know his wife's parents as the children's names can sometimes provide clues as there are a fewHutcheson families in the Montrose area at that time

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
I see there is a tree on a*y giving parents as John H and Margaret Memmis (? yours).  There is a birth on SP of a Wm Hutchison in Fetterreso (Aberdeenshire) on 5/7/1794 to those parents. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
According to his census records he was born in Montrose in 1791.
The UK census never gives a date of birth, and 'calculating' a date of birth by subtracting the person's age from the census year gives a wrong answer more often than not.

I assume that he is the one listed as a tailor, aged 50, in the 1841 census in Tiverton. In 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, which means that someone listed as 50 in that year could have been any age from 50 to 54, and therefore could have been born as early as June 1786 or as late as June 1791.

In 1851 he was listed as aged 60, which does imply that he was born in 1790 or 1791. In 1861 he is listed as 71, which implies a birth in 1789 or 1790.

He is at least consistent in giving his birthplace, so that seems to be reasonably certain.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi what were the names of William children in birth order and do you know his wife's parents as the children's names can sometimes provide clues as there are a fewHutcheson families in the Montrose area at that time

Hi Wendy, thank you they were: Ann (1821), William (1821-1824), Elizabeth (1821), Mary (1823), William (1826), Ann (1828), Henry (1830), Henry (1834). I'm assuming the first Ann and Henry died in infancy but can't find a DoD. Alice's parents were John and Ann.
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 22:37 BST (UK) »

Hi Wendy, thank you they were: Ann (1821), William (1821-1824), Elizabeth (1821), Mary (1823), William (1826), Ann (1828), Henry (1830), Henry (1834). I'm assuming the first Ann and Henry died in infancy but can't find a DoD. Alice's parents were John and Ann.

Hi if they followed the naming pattern his parents could possibly be William or Henry and Elizabeth but not finding anything that would fit
did any of the children have a second name that could be a surname

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 23:08 BST (UK) »

Hi if they followed the naming pattern his parents could possibly be William or Henry and Elizabeth but not finding anything that would fit
did any of the children have a second name that could be a surname

Alas they did not

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
I see there is a tree on a*y giving parents as John H and Margaret Memmis (? yours).  There is a birth on SP of a Wm Hutchison in Fetterreso (Aberdeenshire) on 5/7/1794 to those parents.

Hi, thanks. Yeah, that one's mine. I put it in speculatively but I don't really have any faith in it.