Author Topic: Possibly found 6G grandparents  (Read 442 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Possibly found 6G grandparents
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Getting a bit excited, probably prematurely.

I have 2 unmarried Steer ancestors in my paternal line, no ideas as to father's name in one case, child born 1771, in the second one case a vague possibility for father's name, child born 1814.

I have a DNA match, sharing 12.2 cM across one segment, so a reasonable match but predicted as 5th to 8th cousins.

We both have direct ancestors from the same cluster of small villages and towns in Surrey, but each of us have only one family from this area. We both have some shared names on our trees, but not direct ancestors.

I have a feeling that one of his Palmer boys had a fling with my Steer girl in 1771, if correct, we would share my 6G grandparents, his 7G gp.

I am hoping for further matches from this line - I am prepared for disappointment, but apart from these 2 men, this part of my tree from this particular area goes back to about 1700.

This match has replied to me, so we are both looking into it further. To potentially find an unknown match from so far back with DNA testing shows just how powerful it can be. I realise it is not definite, unless we both find other matches to the same line, but it's certainly a possibility.

Regards Margaret

Apologies for the duplicated post, I didn't think the first one got sent.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly found 6G grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Great news for you, Margaret. I hope it all works out and you get the proof you need.

As you know, I found one of my 'elusives' and I know how good it feels  :)

Gadget

(I first posted on your duplicate thread )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly found 6G grandparents
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Great news for you, Margaret. I hope it all works out and you get the proof you need.

As you know, I found one of my 'elusives' and I know how good it feels  :)

Gadget

At the moment it feels wonderful. I know I haven't got proof as yet.  From my match's 16 2G grandparents, only two are from UK, one from Scotland, one from Surrey.  The others are from Ireland, Poland, Russia etc for many generations. The match has to lie with this family, and these 2 men in my tree are the only ones unaccounted for at this level.

Both families were reasonably well off and left Wills (the Ag Labs came later!), I'll take a look at any Palmer Wills if available. Fingers crossed

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go