Author Topic: Burial Records  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 17:02 BST (UK) »

Boo, by shear chance I discovered the actual date of death and burial place of the person I detailed, James McLaren. The lady archivist at Woodhorn was showing me things there and it so happened she had a printed transcript for Spitalford Cemetery near Embleton. I mentioned the surname McLaren and she opened a page to display numerous McLarens including the said James. I had actually visited the cemetery previously as I was aware of various relatives of James buried there but hadn't seen a grave for James. I knew he lived in Alnwick so assumed, wrongly, that he was buried there. The transcript for Spitalford showed he was buried there, the date of burial, the actual date of death and place of death. From FreeBMD I was only aware of the year of death. I'll have to re-visit the cemetery to see if I can find his grave.

Pleased you found more information.

According to this page:
https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Registration/Deaths/Crem.aspx#cemeteries

Spitalford Cemetery is managed by the Embleton Joint Burial Committee. That page has both a phone number and an email address for them. If you contact them they may be able to tell you if a headstone was erected on the grave and give you an idea of where in the cemetery the grave was - I have no idea of the size of the cemetery but even if they can give a rough idea that would help you locate it.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
The only Mark Allan that leaps out from that site, based on his date of death, is of someone dying in Sunderland in 1923.

Durham Records online have a transcription of the burial record for Mark Allan died 1923 and is buried in Sunderland Cemetery.
Buried 17th August 1923, Mark Allan, of 9 Randolph Street, age 68, steward

Not much to go on, though the age is about right, but perhaps the occupation may help to confirm or discount this entry?

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Mark Allen, who died in 1936, has a an entry in the probate calendar.

Can be viewed for free at   https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

ALLEN  Mark of Barwell-road Kirkby Muxloe Leicestershire died 19 June 1936. Probate Leicester 11 August to George Edward Allen joiner and Emma Marshall widow. Effects £1059 1s 10d

NB the two people named were his executors, not necessarily the main beneficiaries,

That info may help to confirm/discount this death being the Mark you are looking for.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Back to Sunderland and the Mark Allan who was buried there

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette
15 August 1923

Deaths

ALLAN at 9 Randolph Street, on August 14, aged 68 years, Mark Allan beloved husband of the late Mary Allan, to be interred Sunderland Cemetery on Friday. Cortege to leave residence at 2.30. R.I.P.

and
ALLAN At 9 Randolph Street, on August 14, Mark Allan, son of the late Mark and Ann Allan. Deeply mourned by his two sisters, Mrs E Bramley and Mrs E Johnson.

Boo

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 October 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Boo

Amazing the details you found.  They do however confirm that the Sunderland Mark Allan is not the person I'm looking for (parents don't match). I don't think the Leicester Mark Allen is him either. On the 1891 Census, there is a Mark Allen living at Kirkby Muxloe with various children, among them a Edward G Allen and an Emma Allen. I'm guessing that these are the 2 mentioned in the Probate entry. Am going to go back to FreeBMD and will play around a bit with the date of birth (it certainly varied on the census') and will also try and tie possibilities to the Census'. This may help narrow things down.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Pleased it helped - sometimes even knowing which registration it 'isn't' is a step in the right direction.

Come back if you get more registration options, I'm afraid that age at death on a death cert is an inexact science, even if the informant knew them well.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 October 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
If his age could have been out, there is
June 1915 Gateshead 10a 1271
Allan, Mark
age 65

Buried at Saltwell Cemetery, 3 June 1915.
Labourer. 13 Morrison Street.
Image here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96W-KQZW?i=596&cat=825084

Do you know when and where Ellen died?

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello jonw65

This is great information as I think this is the person. Yes the age at death is tricky but 2 things stand out. One, from looking at the last 2 census' (1901 and 1911) I can find no other Mark Allan that would be an obvious candidate. And two, the burial record shows his occupation as labourer. This was my ancestor's occupation on the those last 2 census'. I would also add that his age has been all over the place on the census', the 1911 one had his age about 2 years older than his actual age.

You also ask about his wife. One of the things I had when starting out on this research was a scrap of paper written by Mark's grandson (no longer with us) stating that Ellen was knocked over and killed by a car in Warkworth. Very specific but no date. FreeBMD shows an Ellen Allan died in 1920 Alnwick District that covers Warkworth and with an age that ties in exactly with her date of birth in 1857. No other candidates show so my assumption is that this is Mark's wife. At this stage I have no other details such as place of burial. Was she buried in Saltwell along with Mark. That would certainly confirm things.

I would add that I'm not too familiar with the FamilySearch site so haven't been able to trace anything for her. One of the things I did notice however was that a general search on Mark Allen showed an entry matching my ancestor save that it had his date of death as 1895. This is patently wrong as he was still alive on the 1911 Census. Not sure why this would be. Clearly the Mark Allan dying in 1895 is another Mark Allan but not my ancestor. Unless there were 2 Mark Allans born in Tynemouth District in 1854 but of course FreeBMD only shows the one, my ancestor as confirmed by the mother's maiden name.

Thanks again

Oh and Boo I whole heartedly agree with you in that eliminating any particular possibility is always a big step in the right direction. As has certainly been the case here.