Author Topic: Burial Records  (Read 2328 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have had help from them at no cost on a few occasions the last being on 23/8/2018.

Unfortunately I cannot attach the emails here. They were for Balgay Cemetery, Dundee.

My email gave 3 names and dates of death. The reply said please find the section and lair number for them.

I will go back and check exactly who I emailed.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Just checked back my emails they were to www.parks.burials@dundeecity.gov.uk the lady who replied and appears to deal with these queries is Clair.

As I am led to believe they will give you a lair number and location if you have name and date of death free of charge.

Hope this helps if not PM me and I will see if I can help further.

Dorrie

P.S. Just tried a wee experiment and have emailed them with a query for a burial location at Eastern Cemetery. I already have the information from my cousin but lets see what kind of a reply I get.
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 September 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Well my experiment worked  :)

I emailed them last night and received this reply this morning -

Hello Dorrie,
Thank you for your email regards to the burial ground of Robert Small . I have searched and found he was  buried in the Eastern Cemetery Section DD Lair No 20. Please see attached map of Eastern Cemetery showing Section DD.
Best wishes
Claire

This is the correct information so I would email them again Matherino giving the name and exact date of death.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dorrie. I am going to email them now to see how I get on.

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Dorrie, just to let you know, I got a successful reply to my query. Emailed them details of my great grandparents (had an inkling they were buried in Eastern) and they came back with the confirmation of the lair number and section. They also confirmed they do provide a free service in this regard. It may have been the wording of my original query that meant they omitted to mention this free service and instead detailed only their £31/hr service. I have since went back to them to ask exactly what one gets when employing their chargeable service. Their answer was that with regard a particular lair they provide you with names, addresses, parentage, ages, date of internment and dates of everyone in the lair.
Thanks for all your help here.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
That is great as I am all for getting the information free if you can.

The strange thing is there are two family lairs in section B and some of my Small ancestors are buried there including my Great Great Grandparents. When my Great Grandfather - Robert Small - died in 1913 there were two spaces still available in the family lair beside his parents but he was buried in Section DD beside his brother in law. He was the husband of the lady who is my Avator - Mary Malcolm. The next burial in the family lair was not until 1938 then Mary Malcolm herself in 1945. That means she is buried beside her in laws and some of her children who died young. We wonder why she did not bury her husband in the family lair in section B as there was space available?? strange one.

I am lucky to have a copy of the deeds to the lairs which lists the names of those buried there given to me by a cousin.

We will be visiting the cemetery in November with family so let me know if I can help further.

What section are your family in?

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Matherino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorrie
Where to start. I thought I had members of maybe 5 or 6 different branches of my family buried in the Eastern. What I had to go on at the start was the location in the city where they lived at time of death i.e. east side of Dundee, a couple of very old documents showing the purchase of  a burial plot in Eastern and information from a relative of mine who told me that 1 or 2 were buried there. Following your help, I've established 2 of my great grandparents are buried in Eastern Section II. Another query resulted in finding out that 2 other great grandparents were buried in Western despite them having purchased a plot in the Eastern (section NN). A bit of a mystery there although if I ever see who is buried there, I might be able to clear that up. My intention is to gather details of as many lairs from the Council, decide if I need to use the chargeable service (other than getting burial dates, I'm not too sure what other information I would get that I didn't already hold) then in due course look to get photos of the graves. I have a brother not a million miles away from Eastern so if I am unable to get there myself sometime, I might try and persuade him to do some grave searching/photography (sounds a bit morbid!!).
Anyhow, thanks for all your help and all the best for the future.
Paul