Author Topic: Problems accessing the new South African Archives Index  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Sunflower16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problems accessing the new South African Archives Index
« on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Anyone else having problems accessing the new South African Archives website (Not NAAIRS, the new one, NARSSA) - I have tried several different access points over the past few days and just get a google error message.  Is it perhaps blocking access from outside South Africa?
Durand, Rees, Beynon, Hill, Robertson, Oakes, Spry, Stacey, Harrison, Du Plessis, Grobler.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Problems accessing the new South African Archives Index
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Doesn't work, does it?
I suspect hopelessly overloaded -- unless somebody unplugged the server to use the Hoover.

One Google search came up with
>> The current compliment of staff renders the Bureau under-resourced and vulnerable <<

No compliments from me, to be sure.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sunflower16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Dreadful isn't it?   I am keen to try to find whatever records they hold for my ancestors before everything shuts down forever.......

I don't think they unplug anything for hoovers anymore, the electricity infrastructure apparently shuts down randomly anyway as it has not been maintained for over 20 plus years now.  Probably killed the servers and no one has noticed...........
Durand, Rees, Beynon, Hill, Robertson, Oakes, Spry, Stacey, Harrison, Du Plessis, Grobler.

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, try this http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?2018091411543063682268&DN=00000015. Just opened it in SA and working.

Regards
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline Sunflower16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
That link seems to go to the NAAIRS site though, not the new database which remains unreachable for me at the moment.......

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
Apologies, didn't read your post correctly!!!  I can't access the site either.  Just out of curiosity, has the site ever worked at all?

Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline Sunflower16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was working up until this week Monday at least- I thought perhaps outside of SA there was something blocking connection, but it seems there is a problem in SA as well?   

The new site has about 1.5 million more names than the NAAIRS site, which is no longer being updated, so is really a lot more useful, if it works, of course.   I wonder if the archive has actually noticed the new indexing website is unreachable.......