Author Topic: Huc usque  (Read 1539 times)

Online mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huc usque
« on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
I came across this phrase, huc usque,  on the image of a baptism for one Joseph, son on Cleer Sewell and his wife Mary on July 2nd 1725 in Ketteringham, Norfolk. It appears to mean either "hitherto", or "thus far", but my poor brain can't seem to fathom the relevence of the comment in the context in which it occurs.

The image is clearly a transcript, probably of a Bishop's Transcript, although the source reference does not offer any clarification. There does not appear to be any similar instances of this phrase on any other baptisms for Cleer and Mary Sewell. However, this is the only entry relaring to them to contain the date of birth (that I've found so far), the rest give only the baptism date. Other entries also give date of birth and baptism, but do not have the huc usque phrase applied to them.

Can anyone offer any further enlightnment?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Huc usque
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
The image is on F M P and  I can't see Hur usque with the record :-\  It does look as though Cleer's occupation as a farmer is written after his name   

Kay

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
The image is on F M P and  I can't see Hur usque with the record :-\  It does look as though Cleer's occupation as a farmer is written after his name   

The entry is two lines long. huc usque appears at the end of line two.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kay. I must admit I hadn't looked at FindMyPast, the image I was looking at was from Ancestry via familysearch.

I wonder if the phrase has been added to the transcription by the transcriber to show how far he has got in the transcription process?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Yes FreeREG just has that Cleer is a Farmer, Son Roger was born/bapt the same day 3 May 1722
Roger was buried 2 Nov 1733 and Daug Susannah 2 Jul 1747.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Here is the entry

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry comp playing up - this is the original  hopefully - now seen the last two words but wondered whether they related  to the burial below  :-\

Online mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
I wondered if the phrase has been added to the transcription by the transcriber to show how far he has got in the transcription process, but in the original entry the phrase is just about discernable, so that's my theory shot down in flames :) The phrase could be associated with the burial on the next line, but I think that still begs the question, what does "huc usque" actually mean in the context of parish register entries?  GENUKI's section on  Latin usage in parish registers has no reference to it.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
what does "huc usque" actually mean in the context of parish register entries?

It means 'up to this point'.

It is nothing to do with the individual baptism entry, but indicates that a particular point in the register had been reached - either during copying, or before presentation on the occasion of a visitation by the bishop or his representative, or something of that nature.