Author Topic: Ethnicity changed  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Ethnicity changed
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry

I am pathetic, with this DNA and its not being negative against the results really - its against my stupid handling of it all..

I know.. I should get to grips with it.. but cannot fathom and this person does that, if she cant fathom, she blocks it. :( :(  pathetic 

I will attempt again to understand it.. sooooon and try and stop moaning soooon

sorry

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
I could share my results and then you could tell me what is wrong with my head -- regarding them.. 

stuck in the mud  with no wellies   xin

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
There is sound scientific basis on who your matches are.  It is highly unlikely that any 4th cousin or closer matches are false matches so they will be related to you in some way.  Although there can be some variation ie they may actually be 5th cousins.

Where the highest levels of inaccuracy comes in where they give you common ancestor hints.  The people who are listed in this are likely to be related but the identity of the common ancestor relies on the accuracy of the trees and both of you listing the name in exactly the same format.  The algorithms for this suffer from the same problem that tree hints do.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
DNA matches are great, and a useful tool for connecting with new relatives and finding previously unknown branches on your tree. I have found they confirmed my paper trails back for 5 generations on all lines, and some even further, which means my original pre-internet research was pretty sound. DNA in that sense is about families.

This is different from DNA ethnicity results which are open to all kinds of criticisms, and are at best misleading. 'Ethnicity' is not determined by biology, but is a social/cultural/linguistic/psychological construct. Therefore claiming to DNA test for it is promoting the idea that certain 'ethnic' populations are biologically 'different' in some fundamental way. If you read how these companies are actually testing the DNA it becomes clear that the label 'ethnic' is pretty vague and misleading.

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
So - I will ask the question - Is it worth doing a DNA test?

It is a serious question: my sister and I were discussing it last week, and I thought perhaps I would do it, just to see if we had any French genes in us. How specific are the results?

With mine, I would expect to see English, Scottish and perhaps Irish - and, maybe the French.  But is that enough to warrant the expense of doing the test - and how do the matches work?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks

FS

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
   My estimate has also changed to something much nearer what I would expect, except for 3% France. All the other small percentages have gone.
   How far back into history are these type of tests supposed to reach? Are we really looking at Anglo Saxons and Normans?

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 September 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Just checked mine and all my Scandinavian has vanished, but now nearly 50% increase in my England/Wales/North Western Europe mix - up to 76%.  This will cover my Dutch/Belgian ancestors who I've recently found out more about.

And my mysterious Irish/Scottish bit has also reduced significantly.

I have no objection or prejudices to ethnicity from anywhere, except I confess a partiality for originating from areas of the world where there are excellent, easily accessed genealogical records......... ;)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 September 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Mine hasn't changed since the last update a few months ago, they took away all the small percentages that time, leaving me with 98% Ireland Scotland and 2% England Wales so I guess I've nothing left to lose ;D

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 September 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
   I am now 85% England, Wales and N.Western Europe, but I don't have any Dutch or Belgian ancestors, unless we are going back to the Anglo-Saxons!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire