Author Topic: Headstones for WWI soldiers  (Read 673 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Headstones for WWI soldiers
« on: Thursday 13 September 18 00:46 BST (UK) »
I was in the local cemetery yesterday and noticed a WWI headstone and as you do had to look the soldier up, while on CWGC I noticed a second WWI soldier listed in the same cemetery but he has no headstone. I met his grand nephew today and asked if he knew why, he didn't know.
The grave used to have a metal cross that has rusted away.
Would it be the case his family didn't want a military headstone (possibly given the mood in Ireland at the time)?
Is it still possible to get a military headstone on graves like his?

I don't know that his family would want one I'm just curious.
I did try googling but didn't get vey far.

Online philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Headstones for WWI soldiers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 02:30 BST (UK) »
The CWGC will erect a gravestone if requested.

A few years ago some cousins and I requested the CWGC to provide a gravestone for my great-grandfather who died in 1917 after being discharged from the Army as unfit for further service.  It took several months, and a fair amount of paperwork, but it was done.  I don't know if non-relatives can request this.

I would guess that the CWGC may have a record of why the soldier you mention does not have a stone (they obviously know of his grave) - family refusal is a probable reason.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 05:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Philip.
It's good to know they still erect headstones. I'l mention it next time I see the great nephew.
It might be the case that if his family refused at the time the CWGC feel that should still be respected and also the present family may not be interested but no harm letting them know.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
A slightly different slant on this.  If you look up the headstone details on the CWGC entry for the cemetery, you may see "PM" noted against this man's grave.  That means Private Memorial (or marker) which indicates not a refusal of a standard headstone but rather a wish to have their own, there are many many such.  CWCG are still recognising it as a war grave but don't take responsibility for maintaining it but would wish to know about its condition as there is, I understand, a process of replacement.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
A slightly different slant on this.  If you look up the headstone details on the CWGC entry for the cemetery, you may see "PM" noted against this man's grave.  That means Private Memorial (or marker) which indicates not a refusal of a standard headstone but rather a wish to have their own, there are many many such.  CWCG are still recognising it as a war grave but don't take responsibility for maintaining it but would wish to know about its condition as there is, I understand, a process of replacement.

MaxD
Thank you
I don't see PM but on the Grave Registration Report Form both of the graves have Pr. for type of memorial.
I'm wondering now if the headstone I noticed the other day is fairly new, I thought it had been cleaned, I'd never noticed it before and I pass it to get to my grandparents grave. I'll have to do a bit of asking around.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Pr would be synonymous with PM I'd say.  Could be that the newer looking one has been replaced by CWGC.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Pr would be synonymous with PM I'd say.  Could be that the newer looking one has been replaced by CWGC.

MaxD
I'd say so, I'll need to get in touch with one of the people who look after the cemetery, pity I didn't notice it earlier they were all there last Sunday for Cemetery Sunday.