Author Topic: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to hack Ancestry pages, I wonder?  It does sound as though what has been put on there is malicious or at the very least designed to cause mischief.
I rather doubt that Ancestry's protection is as strong as that of banks and government orgs which the Russians and others hack into for various reasons.  Can't see why they would bother with your family though.  I could understand it from a (possibly young and nerdy) member of your extended family?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Krazykat87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I’m intrigued by this also so updates would be good.

When I am on my friends ancestry looking at info some of the hits on my own tree have errors of displayed info like yesterday it was showing as an American address when it is Irish. Logged out and went to my tree but couldn’t find where this info was listed as the addresses on the person were ireland as they should be.
I want to invest in a good ‘offline’ tree builder and just use ancestry for looking up documents
Holmfirth, Austonley, Hoylandswaine etc: WIBBERLEY and FIELD
Marriages from above names to....CROOKS, WHITELEY, KAYE, DEARNALLY
Waterford, Ireland: POWER and SULLIVAN (Osullivan also)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:08 BST (UK) »

When I am on my friends ancestry looking at info some of the hits on my own tree have errors of displayed info like yesterday it was showing as an American address when it is Irish. Logged out and went to my tree but couldn’t find where this info was listed as the addresses on the person were ireland as they should be.
I want to invest in a good ‘offline’ tree builder and just use ancestry for looking up documents

This one has happened a lot in my tree - I input the address as xx, xxxx, co xxxx, Ireland, and ancestry shows it in the summaries etc, as U.S.A (mainly Colorado!)
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Krazykat87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:45 BST (UK) »

This one has happened a lot in my tree - I input the address as xx, xxxx, co xxxx, Ireland, and ancestry shows it in the summaries etc, as U.S.A (mainly Colorado!)

Yeah it’s baffling then I’m thinking there is hidden info on my tree because of it. So annoying!
Holmfirth, Austonley, Hoylandswaine etc: WIBBERLEY and FIELD
Marriages from above names to....CROOKS, WHITELEY, KAYE, DEARNALLY
Waterford, Ireland: POWER and SULLIVAN (Osullivan also)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 05:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried entering the word 'County' in full?  I would expect a USA-based system to read 'Co' as the usual abbreviation for Colorado.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 October 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
But why the hell are you giving strangers information anyway?
West, Alexander, Banham, Balchin.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 October 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Actually, a couple of weeks ago,   I was adding some new info and records into my Ancestry private tree, and had similar problems.  In one family line in particular, names had been changed around, and some records had been deleted!!  I had only two people (close relatives of mine) that I have known personally for many years, and who have been excellent assisting me in my research over many years!   Only those two had editing rights, but when they both passed away about a year ago, I closed off their Editor status, so I'm pretty sure I must have been hacked in some way!  I've been working on it solidly for a couple of weeks trying to get it right again, and still working on it!  Fortunately, I have paper copies of certificates, census entries etc, so that's helping a bit!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 October 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Now that is a worrying event...

I have just attempted to look at my tree (s) to see if anything similar is happening.. but it means logging out and in and my password is not to hand.. so cant do that.

but I think all is ok.. 

I do share with some friends.. but they are only guests.

GET on to Ancestry to sort it.. they are responsible for the way information is stored.. if WORD gets out that it is NOT a secure site.. they will loose custom

xin

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
What strikes me about all this is that these trees are never really 'Private' but open to all sorts of hacking and abuse however you try to protect them.  Ancestry (or whoever) are the real owners of 'your' information once you give it to them. 

Just glad I never have.

Melbell