Author Topic: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me  (Read 8134 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me
« on: Thursday 13 September 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
Am really furious - Checked my family trees today, which I have not done for quite some time, only to find information has been added lord knows from where ?? info on my youngest son's ex wife, info on his present partner, details of my divorce and my former marriage which is wrong (date shown is the same as my eldest sons birth) ... Where on earth do they gather this information...This is not just on one tree but both my maternal and paternal trees.  Has this happened to any one else ?? and what on earth can I do to amend it.  Am just so furious.... Excuse the rant but anyone viewing my trees as access to all misinformation.  :-X
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Surely the only way this should be able to happen is if someone has logged in as you or you have shared your tree with someone and inadvertently given them editing rights which they have used.

If neither of those then there is a major issue at Ancestry.

How annoying. Have you contacted Ancestry.  I can’t think of any easy way to fix it.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Have you shared your tree with anyone? I think this can be set for them to  just view (as a guest) or as a conributor

You can check this in Tree Settings -> Sharing

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
Nope - my tree has not been shared..and is supposed to be private on Ancestry...the other thing being, I am in Australia and all the people concerned (been named) are also Australian's... just cannot figure it out and as I said most of the info has been incorrect...figure the only thing I can do is delete, but still cannot figure how this information has been copied onto two separate trees ???
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
Am really furious - Checked my family trees today, which I have not done for quite some time, only to find information has been added lord knows from where ?? info on my youngest son's ex wife, info on his present partner, details of my divorce and my former marriage which is wrong (date shown is the same as my eldest sons birth) ... Where on earth do they gather this information...This is not just on one tree but both my maternal and paternal trees.  Has this happened to any one else ?? and what on earth can I do to amend it.  Am just so furious.... Excuse the rant but anyone viewing my trees as access to all misinformation.  :-X

All these people would be living people, and I thought Ancestry's software doesn't allow for information about living people to be displayed at all. 

I don't understand why such sensitive information gets uploaded to any online website.  I thought it was possible to have your software restrict uploading such information.  Perhaps you need to decide what to upload and what not to. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
Assuming your tree is patvp_1. I can confirm it is private - to me anyway
Have you a grandchild who might have had a wee play around?

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Wish it were that easy, no grandchildren around...and no one else has access to my computer...added to this two of the names mentioned are the so called original and yet they were name changed by the step father and are known by that name now...hope that makes sense...they are both adults... ??? still damned if I know how anyone could get access...oh dear where to next ??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere that allows you to see date when changes were made and who made them? For example, if you click on one of those 'added' people can you check?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
This is really concerning - if the trees are private, and you haven't given anyone (editing or contributing) access via the Tree Sharing option, it shouldn't be able to happen.

Can I just ask if the trees have been previously shared, just to rule that out as a possibility?

And I assume you will be contacting Ancestry to ask how this could possibly have happened - will you keep us posted on their reply?

Sympathies to you - this is one of the things we all dread.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex