Author Topic: Capt. Thomas Crawford RFA  (Read 2347 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Thomas Crawford RFA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 September 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
I believe he was taught music by one of the Strauss family

According to the Derby Daily Telegraph of 5 September 1947 his music teacher was named Imelda, and was a niece of Strauss.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norm1055

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply's to my post, and apologise for not coming back on here sooner, I'm a newby still trying to find my way around this site.
Thomas Crawford had no navy connections, but was a captain in the army, other than this I know nothing of his army record.

I have a copy of of his marriage certificate . Details....

Married at St Joseph & St Francis Xavier's Church Richmond 21 October 1917 Thomas Crawford 35, 2nd Lieut. RFA Scotton Camp Richmond, Father George Crawford, Spirit Merchant: Lilian Bonsor Howlett 27 Resident at Norfolk War Memorial Hospital, Thorpe, Norwich., father Edwin Howlett, Engineer (my 2x great grandfather)

Thomas & Lilian had a hotel, "The Bridge of Lochay" at Killin, Stirling, Scotland and were later Hoteliers in Edinburgh.

Any information to enable me to put "meat on the bones" on the above would be gratefully appreciated and a big thank you for the help already received

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
His medal index card (address: Palestine Railways, Haifa) shows that he rose from Private to Sergeant in 1/1st Lovat Scouts (No: 2377), and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery on 1 March 1917, rising to Captain. He qualified for the 1914-15 Star. His first theatre of war was Gallipoli and Aegean Islands, entered 26 September 1915. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Re the music teacher, there is an Imelda Britter in a convent in Edinburgh (4 Lauriston Gardens)  in the 1891 census, born circa 1870/1 in Bombay. I haven't checked the original image and do not know if there is an occupation shown. I don't see any other Imeldas in Edinburgh (your man lived in Rose Street around that time, I think).

There is a nun Imelda, a music teacher, in the 1901 census at St Anthony's convent home in Grimsby, born circa 1871/2 in Ireland.