Author Topic: Can anyone tell me where Christchurch (George Street) in London is?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Steve Mc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me where Christchurch (George Street) in London is?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 May 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm A,

your Gr Grandparents may have taken over the George from my relatives. Apart from the information already provided in the above links to this conversation, I have copied two newspaper reports in the time Flower was at the George;

Reynolds's Newspaper, August 9th 1896: Charles Silvia Flower, of The George, George Street, Christchurch was fined £30 for diluting beer

South London Press, 23 Jan 1897
"John Putt (37), basket maker, was charged with assaulting C.S. Flower, licensed victualler, of the George, George Street, Blackfriars Road"
John Putt's appearance in court for assaulting Charles was reported in the paper on 23rd Jan 1897- remanded on £10 bail. On his second appearance in court, on remand, the paper reported on 30th Jan 1897 that Putt was ordered to pay a fine of 20s or go to prison for 14 days. Charles appears to have taken over the pub early 1896. 

In 1899 Charles Flower was listed as being at the "Red Lion & Key, 9 Mill Lane, Southwark St Olave, Surrey, London”, and

In the 1901 Census - "The Prince's Arm”, 20 Theobald Street, Newington.

I would be most interested to receive anything further you may have to this.

Regards

Steve Mc

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Malcolm A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 May 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are happy to put your email address on this forum I'll send you all I've got, e.g. history of all the licensees I've found so far, some photos etc.

Malcolm

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Steve Mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malcolm,

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.